Eurolocks?

Just been watching one of those cops with cameras TV shows. Cops raided a suspected drugs den in a flat in Plymouth, broke the door down with the big red key.

The search obviously took some time & one of the brief film shots seemed to show a locksmith removing the old eurolock.

It was a very brief clip, but he seemed to have removed the door handle & faceplate leaving about an inch of the eurolock exposed.

He adjusted a large adjustable spanner to fit the eurolock body & applied a few sharp horizontal jerks - and the lock seemed to break in half.

I would have thought a eurolock would have been stronger than that - does this really work?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. Which is why your euro lock barrel doesn't protrude and you don't just screw a handle to the outside. I hope you haven't been fitting euro locks if you didn't know.

Reply to
dennis

Never fitted one, don't know anything about them. The handle & cover plate were missing from the outside of the door. Presumably they were removed from inside then?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The exterior plate needs to be attached from the inside, as without it the eurolock is quite vulnerable.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There are versions of the cylinder with a special weak point which is designed to snap in this case, leaving the lock still secured. To break one out, you have to snap it from the inside (supposing it was fitted the right way around in the door).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I wondered why he was snapping it. If the door was open the screw holding the barrel could have been removed - but I think you need the key still to remove the lock?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The key or a big spanner as you have seen.

Reply to
dennis

We were burgled last year. They came in through the rear french doors by snapping the eurolocks. Takes seconds to get in. Since then, I have fitted some snap safe locks which are designed to snap before the actual lock. Also fitted some sash jammers to the inside of the doors.

Reply to
Slider

Don't forget the art of "bump keying"

Evva 3KS locks are supposed to protect against bump keying and "torque attack". I did quite a bit of research on the inherantly dodgy euro locks and I ended up fitting these in our french door and also my folks bungalow front door last year. I wouldn't fit any other type of euro lock now. Very nicely engineered locks and well worth the money.

a search on you tube for bump keying and you will be unpleasantly suprised if you don't know what it is.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

genews:sFsLk.75322$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com...

** I'm in no way affiliated with Evva or Saunderson security!!! I just like the locks :)
Reply to
Jon

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

In the case of the squire one they boast that the part retained in the door is secure because it has a whole 2 pins left after breaking off which doesn't inspire me with confidence. Better IMO to resist the break-off by protecting the cylinder with a security escutcheon having bolt-trough fixings.

Reply to
fred

When I was researching which locks to get, I was advised by a locksmith not to get Squire, but go for the Mul-T-lock ones.

Reply to
Slider

In article , Slider writes

Was that the Break Secure one or just in general? The Break Secure is 7 pins so I suppose that should mean more pins in the stub, perhaps 3?

I'm not a big fan of Mul-T-lock cylinders as I think the keyway is far too large to be uber secure but if it's for UPVC doors where it's difficult to protect the cylinder then I think it may be the best of a bad lot.

Reply to
fred

Break secure type.

Reply to
Slider

I've got the EVVA DPS(double profile security?) eurolocks on my house. They protect against bumping because they have an additional set of side tumblers which have to be aligned in addition to the main tumblers. The key profile is also patented so it stops unauthorised copies being cut.

The locksmith told me that any euro lock can be defeated by drilling out the keyway. However, the good quality locks have tumblers which will shatter a drill bit when drilled, but any locksmith would still be able to pick them without destroying the lock or door. His words....

Reply to
Dave Starling

Just watched a repeat of the show. The handle & faceplate were present, the eurolock protruded by a small amount & was easily snapped off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman