EU to ban all shop refunds

"cat" must have taken a bribe from Silverline

;(

-
Reply to
Mark

Strange this was a scoop for the Express, I'd have thought the Torygraph would have front-paged it. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

It isn't a "scoop". It has been public knowledge for a year or so. It refers to the abolition of the right of rejection of faulty goods which, in Europe, is unique to the UK and its replacement by a more continental procedure which allows the supplier to repair goods instead.

Reply to
Peter Parry

So the net effect will be that the loopy women who take everything from M&S home to try on, and then bring back the ones they don't like will be stuffed. But anyone who really wanted the object in question will guaranteed a working version - eventually. The issue then is the effect on the DSR, which I depend on here in in Rural Cumbria. Sometimes you just can't tell until you touch it.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Not really, that is a contractual agreement between M&S and it's customers and will not be affected.

As long as you don't mind your new oven having marks on it ("slight blemishes" are excluded from the right to demand repair) and having been in bits all over the floor while the repairer glued the bits that fell off back on. Most people would consider "new" to mean just that, not delivered broken and repaired in situ.

Not much impact on those.

Reply to
Peter Parry

As I read the linked article such "gold plating" by individual sellers would also be banned.

I thought soem of the idea of "europe" was to take the best legislation and bring other countries up to that nit bring everyone down to the lowest...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice" saying something like:

Eventually the whole continent will be like Germany - what else is new?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The article was wrong. What a supplier wishes to offer as part of the contract with the customer is up to them and will remain so.

This measure is being implemented as a "maximum harmonisation" measure so member states cannot alter it or add to it. The UK enjoys somewhat better consumer protection than most EU countries so a downgrading is inevitable. The loss of the right to reject goods found faulty upon delivery is only one of a number of "improvements" we will enjoy as out Uroexperience is enhanced.

Reply to
Peter Parry

The question is, why does the EU feel the need to intefere with what refund rules we have in the UK? If we simply declare that our internal legislation will not affect mail order imports or exports then what we do here has no impact whatsoever on any other European country at all, so why not leave it alone? I have certainly bought good in the past that I definitely did not want repairing - I bought a washing machine that had a major design fault: when first used, the temperature control failed and either there was no backup cut-out or it too failed; the water boiled and the escaping steam melted the soap tray. I did not want such a hazard in the house and the shop had no comparable machines, so I insisted on a full refund. Under the proposed legislation, I would have had to either accept a repair (or a lesser machine, if the "replacement" part of the legislation allows) or lose £450.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker wibbled on Monday 02 November 2009 20:20

Or if they must, why not tell all the sub standards sods to get up to our level (or whoever is doing the best at X).

I don;t see what can possibly be achieved by going for the lowest common denominator - look at what the approach did to education.

Reply to
Tim W

Yep

If I but a new TV, I will be because I want a new TV TODAY. It wont be because I want it in four weeks time after they have repaired it

tim

Reply to
tim....

Because they say they think that cross border trade is severely affected by differences in consumer law and if it is changed we will all immediately start buying cheese from Bulgaria via mail order. Alternatively they have been nobbled (again).

We can say what we like, the strings are attached and come the day we will have no option but to dance to the Franco/German tune.

Broadly, yes.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Because some large companies pay our dear EuroSnivelSerpents to make sure it never happens. When you set up the biggest trough in the world you should not be surprised to find the biggest snouts in it.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Laptop manufacturers will like it. Typical discount on "refurbished" vs "new" laptops is about 20-25%.

They already use not-necessarily-new parts to repair laptops.

Reply to
js.b1

You might be lucky to see it in 4 weeks, it is probably still on its first attempt at repair.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Peter Parry wibbled on Monday 02 November 2009 22:37

Why does "666" come to mind...

Reply to
Tim W

No, you would reject it for not being fit for purpose. There is a load of bullshit scaremongering going on in this thread.

Reply to
Bolted

What makes you think that you can't reject the machine if it has such a major defect?

Reply to
OG

exactly: f*ck the EU.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suggest you read the proposed legislation. It is proposing that the right to reject in currently in the Sale of Goods Act will be removed.

Reply to
Peter Parry