Eternal server gone ?

Obviously not. If they are free, they must be awash with income from subscriptions to reinvest in the servers and other infrastructure. .

Reply to
Scott

Scott submitted this idea :

My own experience of it, as a very regular usenet user, is that it is very reliable - near as reliable as I would expect from a paid for service so why pay. It is hardly life and death should it fail.

Besides, in the last hour port 80 was restored..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Well, we'll have to differ then. I found it unreliable, changed provider and have had no trouble since. Being 10 euros less well off every year is hardly life and death.

Reply to
Scott

I,m not convinced there are any net neutrality laws in Europe, Certainly ISPs have often blocked either ports or services detected by packet inspection, either completely or partially. Usenet and peer to peer networks being the main victims. Streaming video used to be unpopular with ISPs until it became a commodity.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I think net neutrality would mean Virgin Internet or Sky Internet throttling Netflix streaming video, and not their own. This sort of practice has recently been legalised in the US but I am not aware of anyone who has actually started to do so.

If they throttle all media of a given type that is not a net neutrality issue (just a lack of bandwidth issue)

I think the broadband scene in the US is quite different to UK, in that it is quite common for a whole block of apartments to only have a single broadband supplier - hence their sensitivity on net neutrality. In the UK we could simply change provider, in the US that's often not as easy.

Reply to
Chris B

I have both ES and EIOE. Both free. If one is down, the other is probably OK. Just paying for something doesn't mean it will be trouble free.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True. But NIN has been trouble free for many years. And it has good spam filtering.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't actually get much in the way of spam from either of my free ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Yes, AOIE went down today.

Yet another reason I stick with Turnpike is that it makes it obvious that a server is down, and then simple to check which, if any, newsgroups are on that server.

Reply to
Bill

In message snipped-for-privacy@end.of.the.universe>, Bill snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

<LIKE>