Chemical in CH system?

Can I use beer line cleaner in a CH system's primary? BLC is sodium hydroxide with a little bleach. The CH primary contains copper pipe, steel rads, a boiler with silicon steel exchanger & a few rubber rings in drain-down points. The problem is some fairly heavy biofouling - exactly what blc is designed for.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No-one can say. An unwanted effect might be to cause leaks and might not be effective anyway. Better to get something intended for the purpose. Even then you might get leaks. The best way to prevent is is by use of one of the propriety heating water additives (also slows galvanic action) and an occasional run at high temperature.

It's a very complex topic.

harry

I can't help but wonder how "bio-fouling" has built up in a CH system and not been killed off by the operating temperature?

I'd be a bit concerned about running caustic soda based cleaner in there for any length of time but short term use of domestic bleach ought to be OK.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As long as you are sure you don't have any aluminium-based parts (diverter valves, etc?) I think you are probably OK. Strong alkali is good because anaerobic bacteria create acidic by-products and you don't really want that in ferrous systems. Always a theoretical risk that you will reveal holes currently blocked by corrosion products (but if your system is like this perhaps it is better to find out while doing maintenance). I'd want to make sure I flushed it very well afterwards. I wouldn't expect problems with O-rings.

Reply to
newshound

I agree. Doesn't caustic soda dissolve aluminium?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Indeed it does but I'd be amazed if there was any aluminium in a normal CH system.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Isn't the heat exchanger sometimes aluminium? Pretty sure the one in my Ideal Logic is - they make it a selling point ;-)

Reply to
RJH

Lots of (possibly all?) Worcester Bosch domestic boilers have cast aluminium heat exchangers.

Reply to
Biggles

But OP said it was a steel HX. (Actually silicon steel, not sure what that means). Older boilers had cast iron heat exchangers which normally lasted forever.

Reply to
newshound

I think a biocide like Benzalkonium Chloride (sold as BAC-50) would be a better option. It only needs a low percentage to be active, and isn't corrosive like bleach and caustic soda are.

Reply to
Caecilius

Many condensing boilers have aluminium heat exchangers. Probably even most.

Reply to
harry

The boiler is a Vaillant 4 series ecotec with welded steel HX. I've no idea what's in the 3 way valve though.

The system runs well above 60C. The header tank seems to be where it started, it looks grim in there. Presumably lumps of it have been sucked into the main primary circuit, circulation is now weak. Such fun.

If I'm able to get a look in the 3 way I'll know whether it's doable. That will take several days though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Indeed - I was replying to Bob.