Escaping from a fire.

I see someone else got injured jumping from a first floor window in a fire.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6041387/Youve-killed-Joel-Mother-seven-year-old-boy-killed-arson-home-blaze-blames-brother.html
Completely unnecessary. If you are ever in that situation, climb out of the window and hang on to the window cill with arms at full extent and let go. You are only four feet off the ground in most situations. Injuries likely to be nil.

someone has long arms
tim
On 09/08/2018 07:53, tim... wrote:

Moreover when they hit the deck their knees will be shattered as they bend into the wall. I doubt very much if the average person would have the strength to hold onto a windowsill whilst climbing out and they would be more likely to end up falling in an uncontrolled manner.
The best bet is to sit on the window ledge and jump away from the building landing with legs partially bent to absorb and slow the impact. Pretty much like standard parachute landing training.
This may be easier said than done if you are being chased by flames.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 09/08/2018 09:30, Andy Burns wrote:

Rope ladders are very hard to climb. I bet that's similar. And yes down is easier than up but still not easy.

Still better than jumping.
On 09/08/2018 09:22, Martin Brown wrote:

+1 to all that. And aim to go into a foreward roll, but twisting your shoulders with forearms protecting your face, so that you spread the impact down one side of your body. Get it right, and most of the impact will be on the back of the shoulders, which is where the body is toughest.

I think that if you are being chased by the flames you've almost certainly succumbed to the smoke

Not really. I'm just under 6ft and not particularly simian. I just measured how far it is; stood outside underneath the window and stretched up as far as I could with a tape measure to the bottom of the upper room window ledge.
So harry is not far off right. In my case it was 4' 4" (1930s villa style house with the usual bay windows).
I could get onto the window ledge, but then the difficulties start. If I sit on it and jump, that's not far off 20ft to the ground. To do what harry suggests would only be possible for most people if they have something to grip onto with both hands, such as a grab handle like you see around old folks' front doors. You wouldn't want that as a fixture.
Probably an escape ladder is needed that can hook over the inside window ledge.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

that is why first floor windows should be a certain min size to serve as escape windows ......
On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:57:41 +0100, Jimbo wrote:

Ours are 5 foot square, tilt swivel! The previous owneer was worried about fire.

good man
On Thursday, 9 August 2018 08:27:53 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

You should have windows big enough to get out of fitted.

Nearer 6 foot here and there's a very prickly rose bush to land in.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:53:18 +0100, charles wrote:

hang on

only

nil.
And the seven year old? You climb out and hang on they then climb down you, and drop off, in theory.

Similar drop here as well but better that, prickly bush or not, than staying in the room making friends with Mr Fire.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Hardly any big deal when the house is on fire.
On 09/08/2018 07:24, harry wrote:

I'd like to see you take the time to turn around to do that when there's a fire up your arse. Indeed, I'd pay to watch.
And that's assuming you don't have to smash the window to get out.
--
Robin
<snip> >There, we were able to open the window and climb out. In the case in the

And / or molten PVC ... ;-(
Cheers, T i m

or bounce onto the roof of the sun porch.....