EPDM Roofing - experiences

I have a large carport with leaking felt and a reasonable sized kennel (with run) that is also leaking through the felt.

I am tempted to go for a longer term solution by using EPDM roofing materials.

What are peoples experiences, lessons learnt, suggested suppliers, surface preparation requirements, methods of fixing etc.? for EPDM roofing materials.

Cheers

Puffernutter

Reply to
puffernutter

Hi, I recently refurbed a dormer bungalow with two original flat dormers plus an additional new dormer.

I went for the slightly thicker EPDM and am very happy with the result. The only problem I had was where one of the existing dormers slopes into the roof and the outlet is at the back of the slope and under the roof slope, meaning the outlet did not have a simple flat surface for the outlet adapter to adhere to. At the first attempt this resulted in a leak around the angled junction between the two slopes. I resolved this with additional uncured EPDM at the critical points and used Stixall around the joints.

I used Permaroof for all the major components and Youtube etc for education on how to install.

My surface was all new fibreboard and used the relevant supplied adhesives from Permaroof along with their edgings etc.

Really quite simple and a very tidy finish. I would be happy to undertake another.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

I used the firestone rubber on kitchen/garage/porch flat roofs about 8 years ago, if you've got large sections then really two-men is a bit short for the job, three would have made it easier to get the wrinkles out quicker ... it's gathered a little lichen since then, but that's all.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Be interesting to know how it lasts, though. My ordinary felt flat roof is over 25 years now. So will need doing in the foreseeable future.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not uncommon to see it mentioned with a 40 year guarantee, the small DIY outfit I bought mine from no longer exists, I presume you'd have to have supply and fit to get such a guarantee?

Reply to
Andy Burns