Wood for Breakfast Bar

I'm looking to making a shelf/breakfast bar in the kitchen: 72" by 21"

- it will not be supporting any great weight - and in fact will not really be used as a breakfast bar: more of a surface for putting cookerbooks, a plant and bits and pieces on. It will be supported on a baton on the walls on one of the long edges and one of smaller edges: the "floating" corner will be supported by a pole to the floor. It will be tiled on top and along edges. The question is - what material? I am thinking 1/2" or 3/4" ply. Thoughts?

Reply to
jumper

Kitchen worktop inverted?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

1/2 is on the thin side, particularly if it might get leaned on or stood on: likely to flex and crack the tiles. Presumably the tiling is to match the rest of the kitchen? I would be inclined to edge 18 mm plywood with wood or an extruded aluminium trim.
Reply to
newshound

3/4" aka 18mmm ply min - 25 would be better. 12mm will be way to floppy under load.

You could use a decent ply (not shuttering ply). A hardwood or good quality softwood ply can be finished quite well. Be aware there may only be one "finish" face that is extra nice.

Or - what about a bit of kitchen worktop in the finish you like (wood or laminate)?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sorry - did not see the bit where you said "tiled top".

Good softwood ply, 25mm then ideally. Or 18mm if you glue a bit of 2x2 along the front edge to stiffen it.

I recommend a "flexible" tile adhesive and grout which will be forgiving of some slight flexing.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Looking at the title, I thought you were offering wood as part of a menu.

But there is such a bar in this house, and very useful it is, too. I have no idea how it was built, though, without looking in detail at it. It is an island, and the supports were made out of bricks from a wall that was removed. I would guess that the top is an inch thick, including the depth of the recessed tiles. Good luck with the project.

Reply to
Davey

Anything less than an inch thick visually will probably look implausibly thin especially with tiled edges.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If you must be mean with the ply, at least put a ladder frame under it for support. Tiles & flexing really dont mix. And forget half inch. OSB3 is cheaper btw.

NT

Reply to
meow2222