Environmentally OK Lounge temperatures

That is not the point of a holiday home that you visit for a few days at a time. You don't go there to feel constantly tired.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

I can understand that you have to comply with factory regulations ...

... didn't anyone live in that (or even hotter) area befor you ?

:-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"nightjar .uk.com>"

So the aircon is for comfort and not necessity.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In the '40s such luxuries were very uncommon.

Yet we survived :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I suggest that many elderly people are more sensible than younger ones and that they KNOW you don't go out in the cold without 'wrapping up'. We were taught it as children.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Its a good acclimatisation thing.

After a while you get used to the heat. But when you arrive, full of N. European busyness, it takes a week or so to acquire that 'Manana is too keen' approach.

You can tell an old Colonial by the way the arms are held away from the body, to minimise staining of the safari suit, the legs apart slightly to minimise sweaty bollocks, and the overall pace is measured but unhurried, to reduce unnecessary heat generation, and all conversations take place at or after sundown, and are preceded by an iced Gin and Tonic, to keep the malaria at bay.

You cannot be frenetic in 35C temperatures.

PERSONALLY I have a very happy memory of sitting on a ramada in Andalusia somewhere, in 40C heat, spending the afternoon sipping iced drinks and grapes and melons...and watching the heat haze boiling off the dry dust..Aircon would ave made it just a remote bit of suburbia.

If I wanted to be cool on holiday, I wouldn't personally go to the S of France in August. I'd go to bloody Norway.

Comfort and the local experience may well be incompatible things.

I remember a hugely amusing experience with an ex..she wanted to have a 'holidya' I suggested Africa.

We got on a plane at Heathrow, at 9pm. 10 am the next day we were picking up a hire car in Johhanesburg.

2pm we were finishing a strange lunch in an Afrikaans establishment somewhere deep in the bush.

6pm we were looking for a place to say even deeper in the bush. We found a cabin in the middle of a swamp.

12pm we were finishing off a massive steak with the cicadas chirping and washing it down with excellent whisky.

12pm we were heading back to the swamp pissed as newts down an unlit dirt road. Pitch black., No lights anywhere.

12 am the following day we were sitting on a hilltop watching herds of Kudu, some hippos and some crocodiles.

Having nearly run over a family of warthogs, been given a baleful glance by a couple of white Rhino, and had to stop while a giraffe ambled out of the way. About the *only* time I can remember her rendered speechless..

Aircon would have simply made it less of an impact. Africa is all about heat, dust, smells and animals.

You don't go there for civilisation. You go there to get away from it.

Aircon is for doing business ..to live somewhere you should adapt.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I need comfort :-)

Colin Bignell