Extractor for lounge

I suffer from some sort of chemical allergy that the NHS seem to be unable to do anything about.

We need some sort of extractor to keep our lounge 18 x 13 x 8 reasonably clear when visitors come round covered in perfume etc.

Hopefully it will not need to work too many hours but it will need to be reasonably quiet and go through a brick and block cavity wall.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Invisible Man

Ducted fan ones are usually the quietest. A large fan running slowly makes less noise than a small fast one.

Reply to
John Rumm

We have one of these in the dining room to kill curry pongs, etc.

's very effective, even on the low setting it clears pongs by the next morning.

It's quite a small unit, only uses a few watts, use two in a lounge at opposite ends, or find a bigger version.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

In message , Terry Fields writes

Spotted lower down:

How does that work, then?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Very badly, one suspects.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Thanks Terry and Ian for your replies. We will need a good extractor upstairs where my other half does her hair etc. but I will investigate filters etc for the lounge. Don't really want to knock a big hole in the wall unless I have to. It is also quite noisy outside here.

Reply to
Invisible Man

About as well as any other air ioniser, I expect. So - not at all, then!

Reply to
Skipweasel

If youre going to use it a lot, HRV might be better than basic extraction.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

?Forget ordinary extractors you lose heat.... See

least the heat loss is reduced.

I suffer from some sort of chemical allergy that the NHS seem to be unable to do anything about.

We need some sort of extractor to keep our lounge 18 x 13 x 8 reasonably clear when visitors come round covered in perfume etc.

Hopefully it will not need to work too many hours but it will need to be reasonably quiet and go through a brick and block cavity wall.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Londonman

I had one next to my bed for years and it was amazing the amount of dust it removed from the air. I know it did, as it used to destroy the bedside lamps by making them amazingly dirty. Everything within 1m or so got coated in really fine dust.

the house was a building site for several years and it certainly seemed to help my asthma. I could have imagined it - but I don't think so.

Saying that, this was a fairly big unit, much bigger than something in the bottom of a bulb... that does sound a tad unbelieveable

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Something like one of those toy cranes at an amusement arcade, grabs visitor and drops them down a shute.

Treating your problem seriously ,would it be better to think the other way round. Have a fan blowing into the room so it has a slightly higher air pressure in it. Air then leaks away from any point where there is a gap, under door, floorboard gaps etc. Would depend on how airtight the room is and where air leaks to.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg