entry-level jigsaw

I am looking to purchase a jigsaw, to be used in the first instance to cut some engineered wood flooring but also for future general use. I like the look of Erbauer JS807, 800W with parallel fence. Does anyone have any experience of this jigsaw or can any of you recommend a jigsaw in the same price bracket (=A350-=A375). Any advice greatly appreciated.

bob

On Sat, 13 May 2006 16:45:03 +0100, bob wrote (in article ):

The short answer is that you won't find a decent jigsaw in the £50 bracket. The mechanics are simply not well enough engineered to control blade stability enough to prevent it wandering.

I had had a jigsaw in this category for many years and had even tried a few other similar ones from time to time. None of them were able to provide consistent, accurate cutting or to follow a line properly without wandering off. It didn't matter what type of blade either.

I had pretty much given up on the notion of a jigsaw being of much use at all other than for rough cutting where the results are not seen. I then had an opportunity at a tool exhibition to have a go with a Bosch GST series just to see what it was like. It was like chalk and cheese. There was accurate speed control, the blade didn't wander about and I could easily cut straight and random shapes. As a comparison, I tried a Makita tool in the same price bracket. Not quite as good as the Bosch, but still streets ahead of the basic products.

I bought the Bosch and have used it regularly ever since.

I've never found anything to touch it in the price range you mention. Unfortunately, this level of saw is going to cost about £120, but if you are going to use it for anything that will be seen, then I think that the entry level jigsaws are a waste of money because you will almost certainly be disappointed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I agree with Andy on this too, I got a cheap erbereyr (or whatever from screwfix) circular saw. Pile of s**t! Even that cannot cut a good straight line!

Reply to
Tim Morley

There isn't a jigsaw on the planet that cuts a "straight" line, but even the cheapest circular saw should. I think the £60 jigsaws pack quite a punch these days, and that's really all it's about. The puny ones are simply underpowered, and that causes wandering

Reply to
Stuart Noble

power balance IMHO than the 450W Wickes/Kress it replaced which sufferred from a sticky on/off switch and eventually a failed blade locking ring. I paid particular attention to the locking ring and when I noticed a Makita with a plastic locking ring I knew that wasn't for me even if spares were available. The Erbauer speed control circuitry burned out after a year, but it has a two year guarantee and was replaced without quibble. The replacement has a stepped speed control, the original was continuously variable, possibly a significant modification. It cuts perfectly straight within its comfort zone.

Not exactly sure the type of flooring you are cutting but would a panel saw not suffice?

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

I agree with Andy, cheap jigsaws are very limited beasts. I recently bought a Bosch GST135 - and it's transformed my opinion of jigsaws from a bodgers tool to a capable device.

I'd suggest either finding a bit more cash for a superior jigsaw (the Bosch GST2000 is being discontinued, and there are some bargains) - or buy a circular saw (Skil Orca is good for price) and use a handsaw for the pipe cut-outs and the like that a circular saw can't do.

Reply to
dom

I'd say much the same. The cheap jigsaws I've used have been as much use as a dried turd. I wouldnt pay =A35 for one.

A holesaw would be best for pipe holes. If youre cutting planks, ie cross cutting only, a cheapo mitre saw like the Kinzo would do. =A327 from toolstation.com. Avoid B&Q's pppro, the one i saw on display flapped like a birds wing.

If youre cutting sheet, a circular saw would do nicely, a mitre wont of course.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

saw(compound saw)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Spot on Stuart. If you want a straight line cut a jigsaw is the wrong tool to use.

Agreed. I reckon 700w minimum.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks everyone for your replies, off to look at mitre and circular saws. :-)

Reply to
bob

Do a google for "sawboard" too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I also agree with above posts about the bosch gst jigsaws giving outstanding performance and disagree with the view that you can't cut cut a straight line with a jigsaw. I have been using the BoschGST 135 BCE on a daily basis for the last 2 years and do a lot of straight line cutting with it, ie doors, panels,floorboards,shelves etc. obviosly anything like a table top has to be finshed with a plane anyway as would using a circular saw but in a lot of cases it sufices.I use it for doing laminate floors to great succes. I understand about cost concerns but I think it is such a versatile tool that it will pay back the serious diyer in time saved fiddeling about with inferior tools.

Reply to
Housemartin

I'm summising the doors are kitchen cupboard ones?

Whats an inferior tool?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Tony Blair?

Reply to
Guy King

Oh yes, a thing of wondrous beauty..............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Guy King wrote in news:3130303034323739446761F466 @zetnet.co.uk:

From what I read, it was our beloved DPM's. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Well there's your problem. Spend £150 on a Bosch and don't rush things.

I've cut dovetails in 1/2" softwood with mine. It's hardly a sensible way to do them, but you can do it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Entry-level jigsaw...

Tournifreak