Engineered Wood Floor and Rad Pipes

Hi all

Another detail which is bugging me before I start! I've fitted laminate before, but the stock method for neatening the holes in the floor around rad pipes was a stick on disk. These have faded and look naff. What is the (hopefully improved) solution to the same issue for wooden floor?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

pcb1962

I think that you would still have to have a disk, but get one made from the same material as the floor itself, and finished with the same oil, etc. Since it would be the same material and finish, it will `weather' in the same way as the floor itself, so shouldn't stand out as being any different. When I bought my wooden floor recently, these matched wooden disks were offered as an optional extra. In the end though I decided that I didn't want the pipework messing up my nice floor at all, so I chased the radiator pipework into the wall; extra work, but I think it looks much smarter.

dan.

Reply to
dent

Best method, allbeit fiddly is to drill a hole slightly larger than the pipe in exactly the right position. Then use a fine toothed saw to make two cuts from the edge of the board to each side of the hole IFSWIM. Slide the board into place, the glue the offcut in behind the pipe.

Looks very good, has to be done with some precision though.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Thanks Dave and others. Yes I have used the above method, but need to leave enough space around pipe to flex for radiator fitting. Long story, but I need all the flex for installing the rad to be at the left hand tail, so I will need a larger hole (or a slot) in the floor section initially. Concrete floors are such a PITA.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster