Energy saving heaters - recommendations?

That was a long one. In the 90's our phone number was still:- Little Mill 200

Reply to
harryagain

We had an external bell. You could hear it at 200 yards. But as nobody else lived within two miles it didn't matter.

Reply to
harryagain

We had the glow/radioactive one. We also had a parrot that could mimic the warble exactly. Really should have had it's neck wrung that one.

Reply to
harryagain

And were you taught at school how to dial 999 using one of those phones if the lights were not working?

Reply to
ARW

Taught myself :)

Our teachers did not teach us much useful in the way of everyday stuff (at least at infants and middle school).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not at school, but I now remember there was a page in the Telephone Directory with instructions.

Perhaps I should add it to my Internal Telephone Directory for the benefit of any visitors :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

My wife _still_ complains that we had to leave out pushbutton trimphone behind when we moved. Wired in of course...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You think anyone would have noticed it missing? Claim you had it removed as a radioactive hazard [he said, glancing at 5 GTLS vials].

Reply to
Andy Burns

Buy her a nice new second-hand one from Ebay then.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It wasn't just parrots, some wild bird had the identical ringtone. Product design oops.

Yes the dial light was radioactive. Today they're all well decayed, but the y did work. I guess they spent ££ on dial lighting to ensure folk could call in an emergency that took out mains power. But if you're used to a di al its hardly a challenge to dial 999 in darkness.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think our phone number in the mid '70's was a four digit one.

I do still re ember a few numbers :-)

And local dialling codes :-) do they still exist/are they useable?

Reply to
Chris French

My mum still has a dial phone (706 or similar) upstairs, I don't know if it is still connected, but it was still in operation in there old house (moved about 9 years ago) Think was still their main phone then

My neice (now mid '20s, probably about 13 was visiting . She was entirely befuddled when she was presented with it when goign to make a phone call :-)

Reply to
Chris French