Energy saving heaters - recommendations?

A tad, I said.

Of course it takes time. So what. AIUI, the OP wanted cheap and cheerful.

You can get the whole house done, can you, for the price of a cheap convector heater that can be moved from room to room?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Skeptical

I wonder if he has managed to flush out some of the junk bridging the cells at the bottom of the battery and that is what has given it some life again.

Reply to
philipuk

That looks like a reply intended for the the "What does the team think ?" thread.

Reply to
Johny B Good

The point is, they are efficent at converting electricity to heat. But ineffective as the heat is not where you want it. So ultimately not cheap to run at all.

A radiant heater is far more effective. Only a small part of the heat is radiant from "convectors". Even a fan heater is better, you can sit in the hot air flow.

Reply to
harryagain

I agree. The very cheap 1.5kW oil-filled radiators I bought recently can only work continuously on their lowest 550W power setting. Even so, they are moderately useful, and I feel happier leaving them unattended than I would a fan heater.

I've just bought my Mum a 500W DeLonghi Bambino oil-filled radiator, which appears to be able to output 500W continously if needed, and has a nice quality feel to it.

Reply to
LumpHammer

Please tell me that your parents also bought a telephone table/seat to put in the hallway back in the 1970s:-)

Reply to
ARW

:-)

No - had to stand, the telephone was wall-mounted. (Mother had a fixed idea that it was "modern" or something to have them like that rather than desk or table top.)

Reply to
polygonum

Actually, having to stand encouraged you to keep calls brief and the bill small :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And the phone was rented and not owned?

Reply to
ARW

And in those days you actually "knew" a a couple of phone numbers.

Reply to
ARW

I don't think you could "own" your phone in 1963. GPO only.

Reply to
polygonum

I still remember the number - not having had any reason to since about

1970. (As everywhere, the number expanded way back so it hasn't had any possible use since way back.)
Reply to
polygonum

Mine did. We kept the phone directories in the little drawer, wellies in the seated bit, and there was a dandy little pull out shelf so you could writing things whilst chatting.

Later the GPO upgraded our old grey wall mounted phone that was 3 ft from the phone seat to a mid green desk style that actually sat on the phone table. Luxury...

Reply to
Tim Watts

And they were 5 digits if that.

Still remember our home number:

Burgh Heath 51998

:)

Reply to
Tim Watts

O yes - it was:

0WN2 5068

(Pre-all figure numbers.)

Reply to
polygonum

I hope it was dial phone and non of that new fangled push button technology.

Reply to
ARW

ISTR somewhere around 1980 before you could own you own phone.

Reply to
ARW

I had a wall-mounted one in the kitchen in my US house in the 80s. But that was because, with a small kitchen, once I'd replaced the handset cord with a much longer one, I could use it from anywhere in the kitchen. Having it wall-mounted meant one less thing on the counter tops.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes. Also, ha

Reply to
S Viemeister

oops. Also, having the sole phone in the hall made it likely you'd hear it ring, wherever in the house you happened to be.

Reply to
S Viemeister