End of domestioc solar power in UK?

<snip>

Like Fredxx's "Given lead acid can only withstand 200 charge/discharge cycles that's not many cycles per year."

If we are talking of a battery designed for use in an SLI role, used correctly, then you would expect it to last *way* more than 200 'cycles'.

If you are talking of using an SLI on a deep discharge / UPS / traction role then he could well be right.

The MK 8GUI semi traction batteries I have offer +450 cycles at 100% DOD and 1000 cycles at a 50% DOD and the bigger M34SLDG offers 500 cycles at 50% DOD and 1100 at 50%. Used in an SLI type role with say a

10% DOD (ignoring the impact of cranking / recharge current and vibration) the cycle life is more like 6000 (again, you still need to state the temperature and discharge date with those figures).

Ok.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We were discussing their use to store domestic power, so those conditions pertain. You won't get 10% DOD per day unless you grossly oversize them - and that costs.

Either way the battery cost makes it uneconomic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Then you use larger batteries so you don't discharge them fully. Like on a car. I've had a car battery last 11 years - used every day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He's right, though. Since it's not a mobile installation or where space is tight, you simply use larger batteries so you don't run them flat. And that extra cost would soon be saved overall.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

well you're free to back that claim up :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm not saying storage via any type of battery is practical for the home. ;-)

But do know from experience of lead acid batteries that they last far far longer if you only partially discharge them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> writes

Only someone who doesn't understand the grid would make such a comment.

Reply to
bert

Perhaps Dave doesn't know that the Underground has its own grid, and until some years ago had its own power station, too.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It used to have more than one, Neasden went in the late 1960?s. You are probably thinking of Lots Road ,Chelsea which closed around 2002. That still leaves Greenwich which isn?t particularly economical to run with fairly old gas turbines but is kept on a standby basis for a quick start in an instance of power loss from the grid. It can only keep parts of the Underground going in that case. There were plans to modernise it and make it a full time station again and supply power to the grid as well as to the Underground but they are still in the feasibility studies stage,part of those studies is into storage battery systems for the Underground.

Marland

And perhaps you don't understand the Underground isn't the only system with electric trains. Or know I once lived in Cheyne Walk - only a short distance from the Lots road power station.

Best stick to Brexit, Tim. Your ignorance there is more understandable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So when the batteries die you build a new house?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

A different slightly remote location to the oil tank, of course... assuming you think you can run your heating off the battery. Which seems unlikely.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris