End of domestioc solar power in UK?

Canada is fine but I could not eat a whole Canadian? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh yes it was.

Reply to
harry

We have a similar opportunity but because my moral compass isn't broken, I wouldn't go for it.

These are the two lines from that link that get me:

"The change will not affect the 800,000 homes that already have solar panels."

The only way the installations were ever viable was because of the 'subsidy that the rest of us have to pay these parasites.

If voting to leave the EU would ensure all such things were scrapped / rescinded (and the payments recouped) I would have done so on that alone!

"A replacement for the export tariff is planned but before it kicks in homes installing the green technology will have to give their power away."

The replacement better had be getting all our money back!

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Lovely bright morning here in London.

Not having any, I've no idea how much a common household setup would generate in winter sun. Undoubtedly not enough to pay for the silly prices these rip off companies charge for an installation. More of interest would be how long it would take to cover the costs of a DIY installation, year on year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No, that without the solar power payments, few will bother to have solar panels on their houses given that the UK is rather too far north to be much use in winter and unlikely to produce much of a return on the cost for the rest of the year.

Reply to
Tim J

Which should be perfectly obvious, but isn't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Surely all the householder with excess solar generator power needs to do is just instal one of those cheap eco-friendly batteries so the energy can be used by the same householder when the sun doesn't shine.

Reply to
alan_m

Nothing is obvious to Our Dave.

Never mind., I hear that in northern industrial towns, Jeremy Corbyn will fly overhead in a drone mooning, to generate electricity in them thair so-la pannels...

The Natural Philosopher

yeah. Only cost about three times as much as the electricity they will store in a lifetime

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What cheap eco-friendly batteries would those be, then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I had, which is why I mentioned it applied to a cut off date.

That?s no way to talk about your usual source of information, Where is the loyalty to your friends.

GH

Reply to
Marland

It was

you just had to find an installer who wasn't putting *your* profit into his pocket

tim

Reply to
tim...

If you fully draw down on a 4kW battery 200 days out of 365 that will save you paying for around 120 pounds worth of electricity from the grid per year.

At 5 grand (supply and install) the annual financing/depreciation costs are more than that so the net gain from doing this, is *negative*

tim

Reply to
tim...

There are a lot of actors no-one can know. The main ones being the future cost of electricity and the life of the batteries.

I looked into it. With a £2,000 battery installation. Even if the batteries lasted ten years and the cost of electricity tripled in that time, it would not pay off.

The cost of batteries may fall and who knows how inflation will go.

Reply to
harry

Far more likely is the companies supplying and fitting these systems will have to charge a lot less, or go out of business.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or sell it to the 'grid' at a realistic price? When it exceeds their own demands?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why would you actually want to store your own power? Unless off grid. Obvious way is to sell it to the grid at a true price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

which has just become zero (for new punters)

tim

Reply to
tim...

Which seems to be as much nonsense as getting an inflated price for it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

Could this be anything to do with smart meters?

Reply to
bert