End-feed solder bits.

I need to insert a T-piece into a 22mm pipe. I can't see any other way of doing this than to cut a section out of the existing pipe, insert my T-piece, and then use a small section of pipe and an end-feed coupler. I've used the solder ring parts before, but is there anything I need to know about using end-feed items (except to use flux and solder :)? Will a good joint be made if soldering vertically for example? Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

Or, thinking about it, I could use just a single end-feed T.

Reply to
Graeme

You can get slip couplers whcih don't have the stop in the middle and can slide over the pipes, if that helps.

Regarding end feed, the important thing is good cleanliness of fitting and pipe as it is with solder ring.

Then apply solder and assemble. Apply heat and touch solder onto mouths of fitting.

They are a capillary action just like solder ring and no harder to use other than you have to touch the solder on the fitting.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can get a slip coupler with solder ring, and no stop in the middle? Do screwfix have these?

Reply to
Graeme

Ensure the insides of the joint and outside of the pipe is clean (wire wool), and has a thin coat of flux. Where possible apply the heat and solder from opposite sides of the pipe, as solder will flow towards the heat.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I don't think so.

part number 7200 etc.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks. Is that really £3.03 each?!

Reply to
Graeme

Yes. They are a small volume item

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Whether you need one at all will depend on how much movement the 22mm pipe has in the line of the pipe. This maybe almost nothing or it may be more than

25mm or more which will be sufficient.

Provided you are very very careful you can get a T on when there is no slack at all. By allowing the pipe to enter the fitting only half depth ON EACH END. This still gives a good 10mm or so of length for the contact zone which is sufficient to get a good joint. This tactic would be even worse with solder ring fittings since the ring would come into the contact area making it an even bigger bodge.

Reply to
Ed Sirett