Electronics DIY, how to mount/use an RJ-45 socket on veroboard or similar?

I'd get an RJ45 socket with a metal shield, that can be soldered to. Drill out the board (eg a pilot hole filed to make it rectangular) to leave a space for the pins to poke through without touching anything. Solder the shield to the copper traces (with enlarged holes if necessary) so that it's mechanically secure. Then run short wires from each pin to the relevant copper track. Once it's electrically OK and mechanically secure, fill in the hole with epoxy to stop anything snapping later.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

well drill the veroboard then

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The amount of work some peple go to to avoid doing any work...

TAKE ANY RJ45 SOKET. SOLDER WIRES TO IT. INSERT WIRES IN BOARD GLUE SOCkET ONTO BOARD WITH EPOXY.

SHEESH.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

row of buckets

suitable tracks

But the OP wants to connect 8 wires - hence the RJ45 discussion.

So why are you blathering on about a 25 way D type?

A 9 way D works - and that's all that was needed.

Reply to
Terry Casey

row of buckets

suitable tracks

But you appeared to be replying to the post about "I have the same problem with D-type connectors". :-)

However, as the OP, I agree a 9-way D-type would be a reasonable solution for my requirement. Not quite so neat or easy to put a D-type plug onto my cable but not too bad.

Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
tinnews