Electrics to Garage Query

Can anyone give me a bit of advice here?

I've got a detached garage in a two year old property. It doesn't have any power currently supplied to it which I hope to rectify.

I have a few queries though:

1) Rather than running cable to the main fuse box in the house is it OK (legal) to put an additional fuse box in the meter cupboard before running the power out to the garage. I don't mind a weatherproof box if required.

2) Assuming it is OK to put an additional box in the cupboard, is it then OK to simply connect it up with a second set of tails to the meter?

3) If it is fine to hook it up this way do I need to get an Electricity board guy to actually do the hooking up? The meter is a rather small Siemens digital model.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Geraint

Reply to
Geraint Morris

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:37:12 +0100, "Geraint Morris" strung together this:

Wiring wise yes, but the local leccy board aren't always keen on you doing that though.

Basically yes, you would split the existing tails with a henley block, a big set of connectors for tails and the like, and wire the new box into that. You'd also need to fit an isolating switch between the meter and the henley block as all consumer units etc.. should be able to be isolated from one point.

Technically you need to get the electricity supplier involved but if you know what you're doing most people don't.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for the reply. Can the leccy board stop you from doing this?

Wiring wise yes, but the local leccy board aren't always keen on you doing that though.

Reply to
Geraint Morris

You can have more than one Consumer Unit (i.e. "fuse box") if you want. Might be worth doing if you don't have any free circuit ways on the current one.

You would normally use the existing tails to feed a main isolater switch, and then from that a "henley" type junction box. From the junction box two separate sets of tails go to each consumer unit.

Depends on how confident you are that you know what you are doing! ;-) You would need to pull the main fuse (before the meter) so that you can carry out the work without having to work "live". The fuses are usually sealed with dire warnings not to tamper with them. In reality no one seems to mind if you do. You don't want to go breaking the seals on the meter though.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:12:59 +0100, "Geraint Morris" strung together this:

No, but next time they come round they can disconnect your supply. Depends on whether you get a jobsworth meter reader or not, I've fitted various switches and other equipment in meter cupboards before but some will disconnect a diy job and leave the 'pro' install in place. Might be worth checking with the leccy board.

Reply to
Lurch

SNIP

:: No, but next time they come round they can disconnect your supply. :: Depends on whether you get a jobsworth meter reader or not, I've :: fitted various switches and other equipment in meter cupboards before :: but some will disconnect a diy job and leave the 'pro' install in :: place. Might be worth checking with the leccy board.

Most boards now contract out meter reading, and the readers only appear to do exactly what they are paid to do. They probably would report an obviously "interfered with" meter, but not much else.

I removed our seal and main fuse six months ago to do some work on the CU, and add an isolator. I wrote formally to the board (LEB) to tell them what I had done, and to suggest that they might like to replace the seal. There has been a deafening silence since then, and no seal, despite at least one meter reading.

Providing that your work is up to scratch I would be surprised if the local board care.

Charles F

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

On a recent installation a rewire of a 12 year old installation by a local authority. Ive seen them break the meter seal only to fit new colour code 25mm2 tailings into DP switch disconnector going to feed consumers unit with all new circuits in new colour code cable. They never replaced the 16mm2 black and red singles insulated from the cutout to the meter.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern

It took them more than 18 months to replace the seal on mine and then they just turned up one day without an appointment

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

You could argue that the seals on the meter stop you accessing your property (ie the tails to the CU) if no main switch is provided by the supplier.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:36:13 GMT, "Charles Fearnley" strung together this:

I totally agree with you but didn't want to tell the OP to go ahead with it and then run into problems. Obviously with the state the leccy boards are in at the moment the chances of anyone noticing or caring are slim to none at best.

Reply to
Lurch

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I've found a friendly and free electrician (dad of a mate) who will come and do the tricky bit for me, I'll give the leccy board a call before though.

Question is, who should I call? Should I call my area electricty board or my supplier. I'm in Milton Keynes so my original electricty board should be {pwergen (was EME). The supplementary question is: will they give a toss?

Geraint

Reply to
Geraint Morris