electrics do i need to use a junction?

new outside PIR light goes into garage to a switch then on to CU do I need to use a junction box to split out the live down to the switch or can I take both cables (1 from light and 1 from CU) to the switch and join the negatives together with one of them plastic (choc block?) joints inside the switch box? obviously live to switch and earth to switch plate and box

Reply to
Vass

Neutrals not negatives' but yes - no problem using a choc-bloc in the back box. Often done.

Reply to
dcbwhaley

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:38:14 +0100 someone who may be "Vass" wrote this:-

You can join them together with a terminal block inside the switch. There are other ways if doing this too, depending on the particular circumstances.

Reply to
David Hansen

great, many thanks (Neutrals noted for future) :-)

Reply to
Vass

Yes - a connecting block inside the switch box is perfectly satisfactory. A metal clad surface mount switch would be ideal - as it has more space inside the backing box than some other arrangements. B&Q etc sell them, or any wholesaler. Alternately, to avoid the connector block use a double pole version - they're not that expensive. Here's what I mean:-

Dave Plowman (News)