Electricity prices and switching

it's nPower in disguise

it gives me (in the ex-EMEB area) a price for a "powerpack" that's £40 cheaper than their standard price, but it's not a dual fuel deal, so would probably lose that amount in discounts.

Reply to
Andy Burns

The other trick they play is quoting a price that is only valid for 24 hours and if go back, say, 48 hours later the price will be higher.

Reply to
alan_m

It says I can save £56 pa but only if I buy all power packs. Nowhere does it say how much a pack costs but I assume that I have to buy a years worth to save that £56 and I also lose my dual fuel discount.

Reply to
dennis

The price pack is also seems be a "variable" tariff so to get the quoted savings you may have to pay for a years worth up-front.

Reply to
alan_m

AIUI the Powerpack offers are a bit like supermarket offers, eg buy

200KWh this month at 10% off. They push the offers to you via a mobile app and there will be several offers over the year. Nowhere have I seen you will have to buy a year's worth up front. Even if you don't buy any Powerpacks they still have the price guarantee if you stay the whole year.

How much is your dual fuel discount worth, who with and what tariff?

I'm looking at gas at 2.62 per unit and 20p/day PLUS VAT.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Whereabouts is your "remote" region? Surely an error on their part?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Actually I had forgotten the amount with Scottish Power, only £5 per fuel. But while I was logged on, found I could hop from their April

2018 fix to a July 2018 fix ... a longer fix at £35/year lower price, yes please.
Reply to
Andy Burns

My gas is 2.85/unit and 18.38p/day for the next 11 months [both prices include VAT, 2.72p and 17.5p ex VAT]. The dual fuel discount is a total of £15. The annual deal also has a £30 cash back after 3 months and a discount of £15 for operating the account by way on the Internet. This is with Green Star Energy but the deal is now closed and their current deals are a much higher cost.

Reply to
alan_m

Watch out if you use the Scottish power figures - they also use the "misleading formula" for working out the savings between their own tariffs.

You current cost for the next year is 10 months at the April 2018 fix plus 2 months at the standard rate. The comparison is against 12 months at the July 2018 fix rates. Unless the tariffs have actually fallen the quoted saving is likely to be false.

Also the SP calculation is based on the latest meter reading you have given them. If you last meter reading was, say, a week ago and you give them a new reading today and ask again the saving figures will be different.

I was with Scottish Power on the April 2017 fix and found at the end of the contract I saved approx £150 over SP current/future offerings by switching.

Reply to
alan_m

I always use unit rates (both fuels lower) and standing charges (both the same), even if they were the same, I'd probably re-contract the keep pushing out the fix date, as their two year fix is still higher than the one year.

Yes they changed their overall figure to take into account a small change from credit balance to debit balance after submitting a reading.

I didn't really want to change away from e.on, but they started to take the piss with tariffs, after being unbeatable (for me) for several years, SP was the smallest increase I could find other than WinkoWankoEnergy.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , AnthonyL writes

Reply to
Graeme

Not impressed by either their standard rate or "buy all the powerpacks rate". The quote me 14.259p/unit or 11.414p.unit with

15.446p/day standing charge. Currently with nPower "Feel Good Fix May 2018" 10.92p/unit 17.26p/day. Consumption 4500 units/year.

Anything from 44p to £125 extra per year...

Also too much hassle to buy these "powerpacks" each month. There would have to be £10 to £20/month saving to rewrad the hassle.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Almost the opposite of the BT 12 month Line rental saver, when it first started it was worthwhile saving, then it became more hassle than it was worth as it couldn't auto-renew.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Not having any choice in landline provider (no LLU here) and needing a landline (mobile signals are iffy at best) spending a few minutes online after the reminder email once a year to save £22.80 (10%) is worth it. Doing the same every month isn't.

Whilst looking for what the LRS is I came across this from Ofcom on

28th Feb 2017:

Wonder how far that hasn't progressed? We only buy landline service from BT. ADSL is from another provider so in the light of:

"Ofcom has reviewed how the market is working for customers who buy only a landline service from a provider - either because they do not want broadband or pay TV, or because they take these services under separate contracts, usually from different companies."

We are due a fiver a month off the rental, sometime, AND the LRS drops with it as well.

Consultation closed in May, Ofcom might make some decision by the end of the year. What are the odds that any aanouncment/implimentation will be just after I've renewed the LRS in early 2018...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plus free CLI.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I thought the saving (with plusnet rather than BT) was down below than level now?

Anyway there's something weird about my broadband package that makes it incompatible with LRS, and I've never been arsed to phone them to do it manually ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that available now. My previous deals were obviously much better.

I'm hesitant but I think I'm going to delegate this to SWIMBO who likes bargains, shopping and has a smartphone (I don't).

Reply to
AnthonyL

Weird, does electricity reach up there? :)

Powershop are a NZ company, maybe they think you're a different nation

- oh, wait a minute.

Reply to
AnthonyL

Probably not as most fixed rate deals are a minimum 12 months. Wander over to the nPower site and see if you can find what they currently have or a comparison site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

LRS is £208.80 in BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf dated 2 June 2017...

Are you paying line rental to Plusnet or BT? LRS is only available from BT.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice