Electricity Meter flashing light

I've just moved house and notice that the Siemans electricity meter has a red light wich is flashing slowly. Plus the LCD display is flashing between 8888 and the current reading. Does anyone know what this signifies?

Reply to
lemmy

The flashing red light indicates usage, and somewhere on the meter will probably be a reference to xxxx flashes per kWh

The 8888 is simply a test pattern to prove the meter has all the display segments working correctly.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

The light flashes once for each 1W/hr consumed (ie 1000 flashes per kW/hr)

Shows that all the segments of the display are working and thus the numbers shown are correct. No confusion between say 8 and 0, or 7 and 1 etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On one of those Sky Three "law-and-order" type programmes 2 cops were hunting down a dodgy white van (permanantly borrowed from a rental fleet). Terraced houses, lots of cars parked, they had a look into the van and a cutain twitched in a nearby house. "Ello ello ello!" - they knock on the door. No answer. Looked through letterbox - smell of hash plantation! The two young lads leg it out of the back and are caught. One cop noticed the electricity meter was giving it all the 8s, flashing between the current reading - and he said it had been tampered with (obvious as the tails were linked to the incomers in a very dodgy way).

Get it looked at!

Reply to
Part timer

Hmmm which is the most likely : a) Test pattern to show that the display is correct. b) Copper that knows anything about electronic electricity meters.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

No, I don't think so. See the reply from Colin Wilson.

Reply to
The Wanderer

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:43:47 +0100 someone who may be The Wanderer wrote this:-

You mean the one where he typed, "The flashing red light indicates usage, and somewhere on the meter will probably be a reference to xxxx flashes per kWh"?

While it may or may not be 1000 flashes per unit, the light flashing certainly does indicate usage.

Reply to
David Hansen

Err, yes, and my reference to CW's answer made it quite clear that I wasn't disputing that the light flashes to indicate usage.

What I was disputing was the statement that the light flashes once for every watthour. It is an erroneous statement that might mislead others. Or are you suggesting that we should collectively turn a blind eye to misinformation?

Reply to
The Wanderer

Has anybody made a counter that sees the flashes and data logs them off a usb port? Must be better than the clamp on things that are being shown on the news.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Alex

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:49:22 +0100 someone who may be The Wanderer wrote this:-

The meter in the office is labelled "1000 imp/kWh". I assume that "imp" stands for impulses, AKA flashes.

Reply to
David Hansen

So everything's ok. Thanks very much for all the info.

Reply to
lemmy

And the one here at home is labelled 800 imp/kwh. Which proves my point that the earlier statement that the meter flashes once for every watthour consumed is misleading. It *may* do, but other calibrations exist.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Linux box I could leave running but....

AJH

Reply to
AJH

(=A35, uses a webcam)

Reply to
nickt

Which requires a computer on 24/7 to tell you how much you're wasting by leaving things switched on 24/7.

Reply to
Keith

Not a problem..I have several computers on 24/7...!

Reply to
Bob Eager

replying to The Wanderer, Grend wrote: Hi there It would seem to me that these meters are flashing their LED to indicate Watts and not Watt/hours. If my (1000imp) LED flashed 1000 times in an hour then that is indeed 1KW/hr but what if it takes 2 hours to flash 1000 times? or only 30 minutes? Is it just me or is everyone else wrong? G

Reply to
Grend

It's my understanding that the LED blinks for every "unit" of energy passed, for some definition of "unit" (not necessarily 1kWh).

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its just you.

Please when replying to a thread that is over ten years old, post a snippet of the text you are replying to in your message so we know what you are talking about. Most of us a reading this on usenet, not a web site.

Reply to
John Rumm