Electrician's On Site Guide: 7th ed vs 8th?

Keep meaning to get myself a copy of the OSG, and someone's just offered me the 7th ed - that's the 7th edition of the guide to the 16th edition regs - all very confusing!

I believe the current OSG is the 8th edition: obviously it's best to have the most up to date version but given that all refer to the 16th edn of the regs, I'm wondering how much difference there is?

I gather the 17th edition of the regs is imminent so the current OSG won't be current long anyway I suppose?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The OSG doesn't have an edition no. as such, so be careful. The current edition has a brown cover and was last revised in 2004 to incorporate the change in wiring colours. The one before that was blue. What colour is the one you've being offered?

FSVO "imminent" - i.e. still over a year away. The 17th ed. will be out in Jan '08 (see recent thread), and comes fully into force in June. So it may well be a good few months into 2008 before a new OSG appears.

Reply to
Andy Wade

The OSG was last "revised" in April 2006 but as far as I can tell the only change was the IET reference on the rear cover.

Reply to
Matt

Ah.

There's been some misunderstanding here: it transpires the book is actually the "Electrician's Guide", ie Whitfield, of which I already have a copy!

Thanks for the clarification David

Reply to
Lobster

Oops, I missed that. Does it still refer to a shower "cubical" [3.6.1(v)]?

Which seems odd since they've said that the 17th ed. will still be subtitled the "IEE Wiring Regulations".

Reply to
Andy Wade

Yes, there's nothing wrong with a square box like shower as long as there is adequate headroom :)

It's only the rear cover showing the postal address/website url and (I forgot to mention previously) page 2 with the reprint dates etc that have changed.

The front cover still says IEE as do all the body text references inside.

Reply to
Matt