Electrical silicone grease

Where can I buy the sort of silicone grease used in automotive connectors to prevent corrosion - say about a 1/2 litre or so - at a good price?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can find is 12 x 100ml tubes for £54. Loads of smaller tubes for £2-3.

The site does say email if you can't see what you're looking for, so it might be worth a try.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Ebay:

grease is all much of a muchness; you can use Servisol (Google for silicone grease tube) if you want, but equally, the stuff you get from the plumbers' merchant does the job and is somewhat cheaper than Servisol, e.g.

part no 15791

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Maplin

code nos RE90X RE81C

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Battery grease is better. I've been using it for years to prevent corrosion in crimped terminals of fertiliser spreaders. I use AeroShell PX7 - it comes in 5kg tubs. But SilMid sell an equilivant in

3kg tubs for £29. Go to
and put 'PX7' in the search.

If you want to see the spec go to

search for 'PX7'.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Reply to
Jonah

Be careful about using PX-7 (aka petrolatum or Vaseline). It is a mixture of hydrocarbons and may attack some types of natural rubber (e.g. O rings or waterproofing sealing rings/gaskets on electrical connectors).

Reply to
Dave Osborne

I did wonder about that as the type of connectors I'm using have a 'rubber' seal and the car makers definitely use silicone. And given how they penny pinch, would they if a cheaper product was satisfactory?

I'd also be concerned about Vaseline melting and running out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Do you know anyone who works for NTL ? I got a tub of the stuff from one of their blokes ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

PX7 is slightly thicker than Vaseline but yes it does run easily when warm. Which can be useful when preserving wire connections because you could dip the wire in liquid grease and it would 'capillary' up into the insulated part.

If you want strange greases SilMid are very helpfull - they found some 'fuel proof' grease for me when my last lot ran out.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)" saying something like:

What's wrong with Vaseline? Kilo tub, down your vet supplier's, few quid. For sticking your arm up dog's arrises or something.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It melts too easily. Some connectors in the engine bay get hot.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)