Patio Laying

My proposed patio will be made with 450mm slabs. As it is at the back of the house there will be no vehicles driving on it.

I have lots of sand and it is my intention to lay the slabs on a 100mm bed of sand which has been dry mixed with a 1:15 cement addition.

Has anyone experience of this method? I appreciate that it is usual to put a subbase of stone down first but that'll be around £300 extra and I've plenty of sand.

mark

Reply to
mark

"mark" wrote

Is the area well compacted or likely to settle? I did a similar job years ago as you describe (except 50mm sand/cement dry mix well stamped down). But mine was on well compacted ground with significant clay content. Check out

for qualified advice.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Ants are strong....

Reply to
Vass

I looked at this article and found it interesting. I'm hoping to lay a small patio in part of a garden, and am not quite sure if I ought to get a professional to lay it. The soil is very soft in this garden. I see that the diagram at the end of the above article shows the slabs laid on a "prepared sub-grade" covered with a 2in grit/concrete mix.

But what exactly is the "prepared sub-grade"?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I laid mine 20 odd years ago on 100mm of sharp sand, and no cement apart from the edges. No problems so far, but the soil was pretty stony IIRC. I was doing it a bit at a time, so I just packed the slabs out individually as I went. I overdid the fall away from the house a tiny bit, but that's probably a classic beginner's mistake

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Archie

1 Cement to 15 sand !! The ants will think is there birthday. even the worms will love mixing it in. More like 5 sand 1 cement
Reply to
Kipper at sea