Electrical fittings-poor durability?

Who in their right mind uses surface mounted sockets that aren't metal clad?
--
*The most common name in the world is Mohammed *

All the time. In utility settings, such as inside airing cupboards or next to the consumer unit.
I just wish that they had realised that if you are fitting an ugly surface mount pattress that you might even be fitting surface mounted cable and that some preformed cable knockouts would be a good idea.
I've just fitted 5 to my "airing cupboard" (there's no actual room for anything apart from the plumbing and electrics in there). A flush mounted box would have ended up in the next room, as there is only a single layer of plasterboard.
Christian.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

why ever not?
NT

The need to be fire resistant limits the choice, essentially to bakelite, which is brown, or caesin, which is white (although it can be dyed), both of which are brittle plastics. I have seen polycarbonate used, which, from how it reacts to vandals trying to destroy bus shelters, seems to be self-extinguishing. However, I would expect that to be a lot dearer.
Colin Bignell
nightjar wrote:

Bakelite is famous for being brown, but in the 30s yellow bakelite appeared, and white followed, when I'm not sure. Brown continued in general use because it was cheaper.
Whats the plastic used for phone socket pattresses?
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

ABS I think, it melts like ABS, at least I used my hot melt glue gun as a "drill" on it last week.
Owain
On 3 Apr 2006 08:58:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

And if you have a bakelite radio in anyhting other than brown you are on to a winner .. Stuart