Just noticed that electric boiler in out flat didn't appear to be
heating any water. The fault was quickly traced to the DP switch
supplying power to the heating element, which would no longer physically
switch from the on position, and which no longer had the neon light
Examination of the back of the switch showed significant charring at the
top of the dry-lining box, on the back of the switch where it had been
pressed up against the neutral wire, and about 1 inch of the insulation
from the neutral wire had burnt away, leaving significantly discoloured
copper underneath. The other wires looked largerly unaffected.
Finally, the neutral wire was loose in its terminal on the switch.
My conclusion would be the original installer either hadn't tightened
the neutral terminal, or had tightened it onto the neutral wire's
insulation, leading to very poor contact, and the consequent arcing
which overheated the neutral wire and damaged the switch.
Firstly, does this sound like the correct diagnosis?
Secondly, how cross ought I to be with the builders / developer. Would
you consider such wiring as grossly incompetent and as having come close
to starting a fire, or just as slightly sloppy and of no real danger?
Does it seem unreasonable to demand a full wiring inspection to ensure
that there aren't any similar issues lurking elsewhere (New build flat,
completed just over a year ago)?
- posted 12 years ago