Shower pump reliability?

Just had a screwfix mid-range one fail after three years or so. Found the centrifugal type quite noisy (it's in a loft over the bedroom), I wondered about trying the BES PR50D "regenerative" pump. I assume that's a reciprocating mechanism?

Any comments on reliability? Don't really fancy shelling out nearly 300 notes for a brass one.

Reply to
newshound

recently replaced a clapped out cheapie showerforce with a Salamander=20 RSP75 (I fitted a techflange and upgraded hot intake pipework to 22mm,=20 and fitted a separate 22mm cold intake at same time)

Amazingly quiet even with airing cupboard door open, about =A3175, not=20 make of brass like a Stuart turner, but feels very solid.

Only had it 6 months or so, so can't really speak for long term=20 reliability yet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They all make "some " noise. Being in a loft I think it must have only a very limited "head" of water at the pump inlet and most of the noise could be cavitation in the impellor due to "pulling harder " than the supply can comfortably cope with. On that basis there is every chance that any pump will suffer the same fate. Mounting on a soft base with large inlet pipes may solve your noise problem

Reply to
cynic

None of the cheap ones are that reliable. I've tried a few in the past and never achieved more than a 3 year lifetime before they either leaked an an unrepairable way or other bad things happened.

I eventually fitted Stuart Turner brass models and have had nearly 15 years out of them so far. One can also order spares very inexpensively from their factory in Henley on Thames.

The extra cost is not significant when looked at over a reasonable time, and in fact I hink at about 5 years a decent pump will begin to be less in lifetime cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks; it's a 5' head, 15 mm plastic pipe with smooth run into pump, but yes it sounds like it could be cavitating. The previous pump was plumbed with 22 mm but that died with a seal failure. Both had the same flow restriction from "washing machine hose" type connectors.

Reply to
newshound

recently replaced a clapped out cheapie showerforce with a Salamander RSP75 (I fitted a techflange and upgraded hot intake pipework to 22mm, and fitted a separate 22mm cold intake at same time)

Amazingly quiet even with airing cupboard door open, about £175, not make of brass like a Stuart turner, but feels very solid.

Only had it 6 months or so, so can't really speak for long term reliability yet.

Thanks, I'll check them out when the ISP gives me HTTP back! Only news and mail working at the moment.

Steve

Reply to
newshound

Many thanks, I'm asking myself the same question. Anyone know if the "Heavy Duty Brass" job in BES might be Stuart Turners? No web access at the moment to search for them. Even when you make them accessible and easy to swap out (push-fits, isolating valves, 13A plug) it's a PITA when they fail.

Reply to
newshound

I just went to see what mine is... It's a NewTeam Jetforce 35, which no longer exists but their JetForce 55 looks the same:

think it's 17 years old, and still works fine. Jeeze... I just looked at the price for the JF 55... £444. Hope it carries on working fine too;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Watermill BP100D. Watermill are a subsidiary of Grundfos.

Reply to
Andy Hall

> I think it's 17 years old, and still works fine.

My dead one is evidently a rebadged Newteam, but yours looks much more substantial (2 brass pumps at one end instead of a plastic one at each end)

Reply to
newshound

I have a Salamander whole house pump, I think it's a 100 or whatver the next one up from 75 is, and mine's certainly not quiet. It doesn't shake the house like the old one but you can certainly hear it. I've got it mounted on a slab on several layers of old underlay and it's connected with flexible pipes. When I get round to it (i.e. porbbaly when I sell the house) I'll try to isolate the pump some more. This is with 28/22mm supply.

One thing to note is that you can get wide bore flexible pipes and you should probably be using these instead of the washine machine type narrow bore ones.

Reply to
adder1969

I have a Salamander whole house pump, I think it's a 100 or whatver the next one up from 75 is, and mine's certainly not quiet. It doesn't shake the house like the old one but you can certainly hear it. I've got it mounted on a slab on several layers of old underlay and it's connected with flexible pipes. When I get round to it (i.e. porbbaly when I sell the house) I'll try to isolate the pump some more. This is with 28/22mm supply.

One thing to note is that you can get wide bore flexible pipes and you should probably be using these instead of the washine machine type narrow bore ones.

-------- Thanks for the info; most of the pumps seem to use 3/4 BSP connectors, and the bore through those allowing for the flange and pipe thickness is well under 22 mm.

Reply to
newshound

Did it start that way, or has it just got that way?

Mine's sitting on top of about 2 inches of very dense foam, with the standard 3/4" flexible connectors, it makes quite a pleasing "zhuzhing" sound.

Reply to
Andy Burns