Mahogany to maple

I need to paint some mahogany furniture to go in with a room of maple furniture, any ideas as to which shade of paint to use? For example is Dulux's "Soft Maplewood" actually anywhere close? Obviously I can try testers etc. but just wondered if anyone might have some suggestions (apart from actually using maple furniture of course).

Reply to
Lino expert

Sell teh mahogany for loads of money, and buy more cheap crap maple from Ikea.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Paint all of the furniture then it will all match

Cerise would be different

Seriously though do you really think that the painted furniture would match the natural wood finish of the maple?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Nope, not looking for a match, just closing the gap between the colours.

Reply to
Lino expert

Reply to
Bolted

Matches are normally made from cheap pine

Reply to
geoff

So, basically, some very novel spellings of the phrase "I don't know" from everyone. Ah well, onwards and upwards...

Reply to
Lino expert

For my part a novel spelling of the phrase 'don't do it, it would be a bodge' would be more accurate

Many of the regulars here would wish to do all jobs to at least a professional standard if not better and what you are proposing would not be of that standard

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Your point is well taken. However, wooden furniture has been being painted since God was a boy, I was only after some suggestions as to which colour would tone with a maple colour, if anyone knew of any. I don't want to paint it white as the upholstery will be white and any, even subtle, difference in shade will make one or the other look bad/dirty/just not quite right. I've been happy enough with similar painting I've done before and, as it's for me, that's all I have to bother about.

Reply to
Lino expert

Aspen, apparently. Paradoxically because it burns very poorly.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Poplar ;-)

AJH

Reply to
AJH

That's right, it's the wax that burns.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

R U sure?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I can confirm aspen is a crap wood to burn. Got a tree gradually splitting for firewood. Its pretty crap. Its a bastard to split too, Guess thats why cricket bats are made of it. It absorbs shocks and just bends..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher