Electric Shower Switch

A friend has asked me to remove the ceiling pull cord switch for her electric shower in the bathroom and replace it with a normal 34 amp switch outside the bathroom.

One site is right outside the bathroom door . The other would be in a bedroom cupboard next to the bathroom. The cupboard switch would be harder to get at.

Are there any regs about the placement of the switch apart for not in the bathroom. We do not have part P in Scotland. So thats not a problem.

Eddie

Reply to
That Bloke

Do we not .I wasn't aware of that .??

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Are you sure 34A is enough (8kW shower or less)?

The switch needs to be an isolator (i.e. be two pole with sufficent contact clearance). It needs some form of indicator such that you can see when it is off. Ideally it ought to be in same room as the appliance so that it can be seen at all times by someone maintaining the shower. Although on the wall outside the door would probably also be OK in most cases. If can be in the bathroom itself so long as it is in Zone 3 or further away.

Reply to
John Rumm

So if you have a short narrow bathroom with a lowish ceiling you could be stumped .??...but do these Zones apply in Scotland as Part P doesn't .Anyone know .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Yes, Scottish building standards require electrical installations to be safe. Compliance with the IEE Regulations satisfies this requirement. The Zones are part of the IEE Regulations.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

... and this must still work when the power is off (i.e. a mechanical indicator of the switch position, not just a neon light)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Well I would think electrical installations should always be "safe" but I remain to be convinced about all this ....I saw something else but can't recall where that the IEE Regulations are only advisory ....If something was installed before Zones were ever thought of it would probably be considered safe so why shouldnt it still be if installed now the same way .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

A rocker switch is fine for this (with red flashing shown in the on position). The separate indicator is only necessary on pull cord switches, where it would otherwise not be obvious.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No, because the standard was changed. Many things which were previously considered safe or acceptable are no longer permitted for new installation work.

OTOH the amendment to the wiring regs which introduced the zoning concept was, for the most part, a relaxation of over-stringent requirements.

Reply to
Andy Wade