Shower to pull-cord light switch distance?

What are the current regs for the minimum distance between a shower cubicle and the pull cord for the shower and also for the (separate) pull cord for the light?

Reply to
clangers_snout

ARW

Thanks for that, very useful.

Does anyone know what constitutes an "insulated pull cord"? I'm guessing th at the normal 'string' type pull cord doesn't count as insulated?

Also, I read somewhere that a person in the shower cubicle shouldn't be abl e to operate the light. Is this right and does it mean a pull-cord shouldn' t be reachable? And what does being in the shower mean - one foot in the sh ower tray while stretching to reach?

Thanks for any further help.

Reply to
clangers_snout

No, you're trying to overcomplicate things. "Insulated pull cord" is simply the 'string' - usually nylon cord - that dangles from the ceiling pull switch.

That sounds like wording from older wiring regs (before the zoning concept) that said that switches should not be operable by a person in the bath or shower. It never referred to pull cords and is obsolete now.

A ceiling switch above the shower tray, if high enough to be above Zone

1, and otherwise generally suitable for the location, would comply with regs. It would be a strange place to put a light switch though, but OK for an electric shower isolator. A less steamy place would be preferable though.
Reply to
Andy Wade

Thank you Andy.

Reply to
clangers_snout

And it was an often misunderstood reg:-)

601-08-01 16th edition "insulating pull cords of cord operated devices complying with BS 3676 are permitted in zones 1 and 2"

Some electricians do seem to like to talk themselves into doing difficult and uneeded things - such a worktop isolators in kitchens for every appliance in the kitchen, bonding metal capping and (in olden days) finding the mid point of a ring circuit for testing purposes!

Reply to
ARW

And bonding every metal object in sight - the kitchen sink, window frames, boiler pipework and, in one case I heard of, all the coat hooks in a school cloakroom! I kid you not.

Reply to
Andy Wade