Electric Shock

The Natural Philosopher has brought this to us :

What, the final statement about the muscles expanding? In that case yes..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

DC will kill an Elephant...tee hee

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

and that currently there is no voltage

Reply to
Animal

Do you mean early BWs? I don't know of any colour sets with mains transformer EHT supply.

Reply to
Animal

I thought the main remedy was just to put a large value resistor in series with the EHT so the voltage would drop if you touched it, and insulate the direct connections to the EHT.

Didn't they always derive the EHT from the LOPT, even when they had transformers, double wound or auto for the other supplies?

Reply to
Max Demian

Oh dear.

Actually a current DOES flow in a superconductor all by itself.

Just takes a magnetic field, which has no EMF

Your understanding is shot. Voltage doesn't cause current, current causes voltage. V=IR. If no R, then no V.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Basically yes, muscles relax when the EMF drops to zero - with AC that happens, with DC it doesn't. Reverse polarity is meaningless

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does the US electric chair use AC or DC ? Often wondered.

Reply to
Andrew

And is this magnetic field just magicked out of thin air?

Your understanding is shot. You are no engineer. If you were you would understand there is a strict relationship between the two. They are reliant on each other, with very few exceptions.

Reply to
Fredxx

Didn't Edison and Tesla conduct experiments electrocuting dogs to show that one or other current was more dangerous?

Reply to
Scott

On the other hand [sic] the frequency of "mains" AC is bang in the range that causes muscle tetany

Reply to
Robin

Andy Burns

yup. Or out of a permanent magnet

LoL. you don't know the half of it.,

I bet you didn't even do A level physics

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Edison said AC, to persuade people to opt for his "less dangerous" DC system.

Reply to
Max Demian

He tried to get people to use the term "Westinghoused" for the process :-)

Reply to
newshound

No. My understanding is that the voltage was significantly higher in the first colour TVs.

My BIL is a baby boomer, B&W tvs took off in the UK with the Coronation in 1952.

Reply to
newshound

George Orwell has a very honest essay about his difficulties when required to shoot a rogue elephant in Burma.

(It's also something of a metaphor for colonialism, but the narrative is quite distressing).

Reply to
newshound

Even in black and white projection sets, using the Mullard MW62 tube required a 30kV flyback transformer.

Reply to
Jon

It does take a significant voltage to drive current into a large superconducting magnet in a reasonable time due to its inductance. A whole body MRI scanner magnet will have an inductance of about 40H. The current in the windings will be several hundred amps. So with a 5V power supply it will take an hour to build up a current of 450A in the magnet windings.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I can't cite a source, but I am pretty sure there was a spike in repair person fatalities with early colour TVs. I *thought* the voltage was higher, but maybe it was the current (or perhaps both). Or maybe early colour TVs were also less reliable than B&W of the same time.

I'll ask BIL next time I see him. I've forgotten the details of how CRT TVs worked.

I do remember our first B&W TV having to go back to the shop regularly. A Peto Scott, istr. Later ones from Radio Rentals were much more reliable.

Reply to
newshound