Electric Oven Temp Control

I've noticed that over the last couple of weeks, food has been coming out of our oven under-done. From time to time in the past I've used an infra- red laser/gun type device to check the dial temp indicator actually matches the heat produced and it's always been spot-on up until very recently. My initial thought was the heating element may have gone hi-res and replacing it would cure the problem, but then I thought maybe it's a fault with the control. Anyone know electric ovens generate the required temperature? I'm guessing it's probably something as simple as a bi- metallic strip arrangement, since a reostat would be *horrifically* inefficient and a burst-firing thyristor inherently unreliable in that environment. Any ideas? Ta!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

yes a bimetal stat.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Quite often they have two elements one each side. Sometime in series which leads to catastrophic failure or elements in parallel and if one fails, give the symptoms you describe. Pretty rare for a thermostat to drift off calibration.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ovens usually have an oil filled phial connected to the control with a capilliary tube which expands on heating.

Some can be adjusted/calibrated by a screw on the back of the control knob "box". Others were adjusted by indenting the phial. You may be able to see the phial inside the oven. (Usually near the top rear).

They usually fail because of a tiny oil leak.

There can be up to three elements in your oven, they will need to be checked out individually. You may be able to see them inside the oven. If so, you can check them by touch after they have been "on" for a few seconds" Obviously be careful, depower before touching.

Reply to
harry