Electric motor burning

Recently bought a 'Silver Crest' electric carrot grater from Lidl. It says in the instructions not to use continuously for more than two minutes at a time and then allow time for it to cool off.

However if worked very heavily you can get a whiff of a burning smell from the motor, even within the two minute time slot.

Is this burning smell indicative of something that is damaging the motor or can this smell be safely ignored, provided one stays within the two minute window ?

What is the margin for damaging overload likely to be here, since two minutes can be quite a short time ?

Reply to
john stone

If it's new, the smell could be from dust / grease from manufacture burning off normally. Personally, I can't fathom why anyone would require an electric carrot grater, unless you breed toothless rabbits?

Reply to
Phil L

Those electric carrots are horrible to grate manually.

Reply to
polygonum
[Snip]

for grating electric carrots - of course.

Reply to
charles

Suppose it depends if you're grating a couple of carrots, or dozens of the things. The faf involved in dismantling, cleaning & storing the gadget makes it silly for anything less than catering quantities.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Well I have a bush shredder that smells, but it has a thermal cut out so it cannot overheat. It trips and a likkle light apparently comes on till ts cooled down. I'm not sure what to make of these sort of appliences, but i suppose what you smell is the windings getting hot and if its a brushed motor, probably the sparking of the brushes.

Do you really have enough carrots to make such a device useful?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wonder if they also work on Sprouts?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

More than four is enough to justify its existence.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Seems like the answer to a problem that didn't exist :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You may be smelling ozone (O3) which is generated by sparks from the carbon brushes. It usually goes away when the brushes bed in and sparking is reduced.

Reply to
harry

You have missed the cultural revolution.

The Natural Philosopher

You may be smelling ozone (O3) which is generated by sparks from the carbon brushes. It usually goes away when the brushes bed in and sparking is reduced.

Thanks to all. Is that what they call * Egotism *, not being able to conceive of someone needing to grate more carrots than they would eat themselves.

Reply to
john stone

It comes from those who have never grated a bag of carrots and skinned their knuckles.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'd have thought something that could only be used in two minute bursts was not very good for catering quantities unless it has a prodigious throughput...

Reply to
docholliday93

not very good for catering quantities unless it has a prodigious throughput...

A shredding/grating attachment for the Kenwood mixer works well for catering quantities.

Reply to
S Viemeister

not very good for catering quantities unless it has a prodigious throughput...

In a moment of enthusiasm my wife bought almost every Kenwood chef attachment there is. They all work very well & the mixer will last long enough to be handed down to the great grandkids as a family heirloom - but it's still a pain having to dismantle, clean, dry & then store all the bits.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Pressure washer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most/many of the bits can be run through the dishwasher.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Ozone has a very distinctive odour that I don't think many people would describe as "burning". There would have to be some serious arcing in the brushes to produce enough ozone to be easily detectable by a distant nose over the smell of freshly grated carrot...

I go for overheating in the windings and general hot smell from the laquers etc. Seems to me that the machine is not big enough for the task it is being asked to perform. Either that or the OP is overloading it by forcing carrots into it to fast. Let it do the work, don't force the motor to slow down much.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice