Efficient (and inexpensive?) gas heater to go into fireplace?

What would be the most cost-effective type of gas heater suitable for installation into an existing fireplace? Is there anything that somehow avoids sending a lot of it's heat output up the chimney?

Any links to specific models would be welcome.

Thanks.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Have you considered a flueless fire? They are 100% efficent, apparently.

Most seem to use a catalytic converter, however others burn so cleanly that they don't even need that.

Have a poke about on this site

Rob

I know, open the windows and let some nice cold air in to replace all that nice warm air.

Reply to
dennis

Cat convertor fires require a min room size and min airflow.

The most efficient fire is a Balanced Flue - they are a tube through- the wall type. They draw in air from the outside and pushing out products of combustion, so about 90% efficient. Best is Rinnai (Japan) re computerised 3.3kW output, fan heater, electronic timed start. Cheapest I think is a Robinson Wiley. These do not use your chimney.

The next most efficient is an Outset Radiant Gas Fire. The Radiant Elements are heated by the gas flame and glow yellow- orange, flooding the room with radiant heat like the summer sun. The radiant heating means you can typically run a room at 18-20oC, some way below the temperature required by purely convective heating means. The Outset Design means the fire sits outside the chimney area, with

56-82% efficiency (I think there is one at 87% efficiency). They act like a big convection heater, limiting heat loss up the chimney.

The least efficient is an Inset Gas Fire. Typically these are 28-38% efficient and little better than a "gas burner at the bottom of a wide open chimney" in terms of sucking cold air through the house AND are very high kW input so do require a gas vent in the wall which will make the room cooler.

A 7kW INPUT gas fire does not require a dedicated gas vent in a wall (creates draughts) if, and only IF, there is sufficient airflow through the house. An example would be single glazing and wall vents elsewhere, plus tested with all shower/bathroom/toilet, kitchen & tumble dryer extractors running flat out.

An inset "decorative flame effect" gas fire may have to draw 22kW to match the room heating effect of a 7kW output outset radiant fire, and the draughts may mean it never does.

You need to contact a Gas Safe to 1) check the chimney is ok 2) check the gas supply pipe is suitable and that goes for the rest of the installation 3) check what will fit re minimal cost of alteration 4) fit AND commission a gas fire. Come back if you get fed a load of waffle (eg, ceramic tiles are not acceptable as a fireplace and you must have a new one etc). You also need a CO alarm if you have an open flue appliance (they are cheap on Ebay, Screwfix etc).

Reply to
js.b1

"js.b1" wrote in news:3e6399a6-4451-4891-8f34- snipped-for-privacy@t11g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

Many thanks for the info and suggestions (likewise to Rob). Plenty to be looking into there...

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Rob wrote in news:i6aa77$olp$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Yes, I do like the sound of them, because they are said to be about 90% efficient, I guess because no heat gets lost out of a flue. They are expensive though - typically £400 or so. Although I think I saw one in Argos for £250.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

They require a large room, "minimum 27m room required", I suspect is

27m3.

They require minimum ventilation of 100cm for UK and 2 x 60cm for Eire, that will be free open area of 10x10cm. That would require a large baffle-design vent (baffle reduces airflow, but prevents jets of icy cold air with the wind) permanently open rather than obstructed by a hit-miss ventilator.

So whilst they do not need a flue, they do have airflow requirements.

Reply to
js.b1

Check whether they need a 4 inch diameter hole drilled through an outer wall. What's the use of 100% efficiency (if you can believe that) if you have an ice cold draught coming into the room?

Reply to
Dick Head

How much water vapour (by product of combustion) do they dump into the air? Is it significant to need extra precautions or cause damp problems? (I'd be inclined to install a CO alarm, too)

Reply to
pete