Edinburgh flat with workshop

I am wondering what the nozzles and gauge is for in the workshop, and are those a small drawers or a bank of fuses or clock connectors to the left?

The kitchen has an interesting boiler control panel too

It would be a bastard getting anything up the stairs though.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Hmm. Danube St., I see. I wonder if Dora Noyce was a previous occupant? Maybe those fittings had something to do with her line of business? :-)

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Tell me about it.

I actually rewired the top floor of that place 10 years ago

Reply to
ARW

Air line?

Reply to
alan_m

That is the top floor.

Does the clock point in one of the bedrooms trigger any flashbacks?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

They managed an Aga...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Definately lived in by a very frugal Scot, going by the decor. Even the paisley carpets look a bit 'odd'.

Period drama or film companies would pay big bucks to hire a place like that though.

What exactly does 'Offers over £620,000' really mean with the Scottish system ?.

Reply to
Andrew

What if no-one makes an offer though ?. Does the price just come down and down until someone makes an offer. That's just a dutch auction, surely ?.

Also if someone offers £620,001 and is a cash buyer, but someone else offers £625,000 but needs to faff about getting a mortgage, can the seller decide which offer to take ?.

I thought the english system was effectively the same. You ask a figure that only a clot would offer, and in the event of a clot not materialising, you accept what ever offer you get, or take it off the market having wasted a lot of everyones time.

Reply to
Andrew

They do come in bits - not completely assembled. I removed one from our last house. I discovered it hadn't been assembled properly, probably why it never worked well.

Reply to
charles

60/-, 70/-, 80/- and 90/- ?
Reply to
Andy Burns

They come in pack flat pieces.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In Edinburgh, about £680-720k normally.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, the seller is not bound to accept the highest, or any, offer.

When I worked in an estate agent's office, we had the situation that we rea lly, really, wanted the lower offer to win (as we were handling the buyer's mortgage, which would bring us thousands more in commission than we got th rough the property sale).

Remember though that in the Scottish system the offer is binding on the buy er immediately it is accepted without qualification by the seller, so the b uyer had better have his mortgage already sorted out. When I bought, it was just over three weeks to do the conveyance from offer to moving in.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

:-)

Although I don't think anyone in the New Town would drink less than eighty bob.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The workshop is behind the kitchen so the gauge and taps likely relate to the boiler.

The small bank could be connectors for audio distribution. Not sure what else they could be, maybe fuses but no switch in sight.

Paul

Reply to
Paul_news

Gas supply to Bunsen burners?

Although there appears to be a drip jar underneath one of the taps.

For a workshop there seems to be quite a lack of mains sockets. Some kind of compact mains outlets? Slightly clearer photo here:

Right side a bank of outlets, left side a bank of switches? Look a bit like US power outlets, but with a central flat pin, slightly offset.

I don't see any sockets in the other photos that would be audio outlets.

The boiler appears to have 8 toggle switches, 5 indicator lamps and 2 dials.

Controls to radiator valves perhaps?

There's a virtual tour you can see without signing up:

and for a change it's not just a slideshow. But it doesn't show the workshop. It appears the most 'tech' in the place is a built in radio in the living room.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Just working backwards from the pubs, off licences and takeaways I used:-)

Reply to
ARW

The infamous brothel was at 17. Oddly enough, it's on the market at the moment too.

Reply to
John J Armstrong

Well a novel idea, certainly. However you do find some funny things in buildings. A friend went to view a house once and noticed in the sitting room which had a concrete floor, not boards, some lumps. Apparently a previous occupant had installed a lathe in the sitting room, but it was not of course the living room then, and just cut the mounting bolts off and over the years it was never actually made properly level. Very odd.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I don't think there's been much done to that flat decor wise, and probably electrics and plumbing, since the 70s. There's a fireplace that dates from the 40s or 50s.

"Offers over" means "We really don't want less than this, but if we don't get any offers, we'll (have to) reduce the price." As others have said here, I'd normally expect it to go for much more than £620,000, but with Covid19 around, who knows?

Reply to
John J Armstrong