Earth needed?

I have purchased, online from Amazon, a wall lamp. It has a metal frame. and it has a two-core wire pair coming from the lampholder and emerging from the support tube. There is no sign of an earth anywhere. Is this correct? This is the item:

Davey

Table and wall lamps are very commonly double insulated, and therefore do not need earths.

It would be easy to induce paranoia by saying that the certification could be faked. But, assuming your house is protected by a standard earth leakage device, the only way it is going to electrocute you is if you remove the bulb and touch the two terminals at the same time. And even then, unless you touch them with separate hands, it's not likely to kill you.

Reply to
newshound

Is it marked as double insulated? If so, then no earth connection required.

Reply to
Alan

Is that true?

Is the CE mark that stands for Chinese Export a good way of making sure you have a safe product.

I would not touch it with an insulated barge pole.

Nor would I buy trainers from that seller.

Reply to
ARW

newshound has brought this to us :

Too be double insulated, it should have (a genuine) double insulated symbol on it - a squire box, inside a square box. Is the lampholder brsss? I don't think a brass lampholder will satify 'double insulated'.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

As it's made of brass, it's certainly not safe with only a thin twin cable. I googled for other suppliers but only found Amazons. The trademark HMAKGG was only registered in 2020, and comes from China. The advert is sponsored and has no reviews. Amazon says the business name is maojianquhuochezhanhongbobaihuodian!

Reply to
Dave W

Table and wall lamps are very commonly double insulated, and therefore do not need earths.

It would be easy to induce paranoia by saying that the certification could be faked. But, assuming your house is protected by a standard earth leakage device, the only way it is going to electrocute you is if you remove the bulb and touch the two terminals at the same time. And even then, unless you touch them with separate hands, it's not likely to kill you.

Reply to
newshound

Metal casing does not mean that it is not double insulated. As Harry says, check for symbol, CE marking, etc.

Reply to
newshound

I would instantly distrust a seller who claims energy class A++ for a

*fitting* that comes with no lamp and can be used with any E27.
Reply to
Robin

Got to be a bit cautious, though! It wouldn't give me any trouble as I have quite dry skin, but others who are a bit more moist could come unstuck with the finger method. I personally stick my fingers in light fittings to see if they're switched on, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone else! --

"The Communists are further reproached with desiring to abolish countries and nationality."

- The Communist Manifesto, Marx & Engels

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'd earth it anyway, irrespective of expert advice.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

That makes sense, and is what I will do. Thanks, all, for the replies.

Reply to
Davey

Is it marked as Class II or carry the double insulated logo:

John Rumm

You have to keep in mind the application. For example installed in zone

2 in a bathroom, earthing it unnecessarily would introduce another conductive part into an equipotential zone that may then also require another circuit's CPC now be included in the equipotential bonding. i.e. doing nothing would be better.
Reply to
John Rumm

newshound pretended :

The RCD is the last hope, better not to need to rely on one to save you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I'm finding Amazon almost useless for anything other than books or DVDs as there is so much complete tat from so many dubious sellers which make Lucky Golden Hedgehog look like a prestige marque.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

No but it don't arf make your fingers numb for a bit!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

This the problem with not being able to inspect the devices before you buy them of course. I have to say I've not had much trouble with Amazon myself in the area of quality, but I would tend to buy known brands and certainly not buy unknown large electronic devices mail order normally. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The reason I bought it from Amazon is that we are in a rural dead zone as far as shops with choice are concerned. There isn't even an electrical shop within 20 miles or so, and I am caring for my wife who has a fractured pelvis, so mail-order makes things easier. but in general, I would agree with you.

Reply to
Davey

As far as I can see, it has no markings, CE or Double-Insulated or anything else, even Country of Origin, and that goes for both the item and the box it came in. There are no instructions. Except that I did find a small mark to indicate that a very small hole in the bar used to mount it to the wall is intended for GRND, but since the hole is about 1.5 mm diameter, and has no thread, this might be challenging. Should I call Trading Standards and see if they would like to take a look at this lamp?

Reply to
Davey