Dysons

Do Dyson vacuum cleaners (DC04) have a thermal cut out? Ours will run fine for ten mins or so then simply stop. Let it stand for an hour and it will start again.

Thoroughly cleaned all pipework, ducting and filters but nothing has made a difference. Scrap it start again?

Jb

Reply to
Jb

Probaly.

Dyson in home service, fixed price inc parts(*) & labour. £70 odd quid. JFGI.

(*) Except consumables, like filters.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Jb scribbled...

Thermal cut out Most Dyson vacuums have a built in safety system that stops the machine if it begins to overheat. This usually happens because the filters need washing or your machine is blocked. If your machine cuts out, unplug it and leave it for at least an hour to cool down. Remember to turn the power off and unplug the machine before you check the filters and look for blockages prior to re-starting the machine. Any non-domestic use may adversely affect the filter performance such as vacuuming up builders dust.

And this might help you fix it

Jabba

Yes.

It's either due to lack of airflow, or due to the motor generating more heat than it should.

If it's the motor, it may show up as the motor pitch changing without you changing the load on it, and/or a burning smell.

For lack of airflow, the motor will spin faster. When it's working properly, momentarily blocking the air inlet by hand will cause quite a speedup of the motor. If it's already partially blocked, the motor is already sped up and momentarily blocking the air inlet by hand will not cause so much extra speedup. One by one, remove all the airflow components (loop at bottom of hose attachment, dust cannister and pre-motor filter, post motor filter), and when you take off the one which is blocking it, the motor speed will drop to normal.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You did do the cyclone didn't you? And I think ours needs a new filter or two...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

In message , Jabba writes

In my home builders dust is domestic!

Reply to
Bill

Vir Campestris wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Does the brush roll rotate freely if you remove the belt? This could be creating additional load if the bearings are tight.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Have you tried to remove the belt on a DC04? You have to almost strip the machine to do it. Fairly sure it's too tight to enable the beater bar to slide out of its carriage slots to unthread from the belt.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably worth it if you intend to get another Dysan. Sounds reasonable at todays hourly rates. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They've sure learned the lesson for the DC59, which is a joy to strip down to clear blockages (just needs a coin).

Reply to
newshound

Something you've able to do with Sebo machines for decades.

Reply to
Huge

Can't beat Henry for repairability and spares availability.

Reply to
HarpingOn

That'll be the upright Henry you're talking about?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I agree, and I have both. But the "little" Dyson, whilst expensive, is amazingly convenient. It's small enough to hang in the hall so is much less hassle to get out for little jobs. Just bought one for son's new London flat which only has room to swing a Manx cat.

Reply to
newshound

One wonders if the set of Dyson fans overlaps with that of Apple fanbois?

Reply to
Huge

Not in this family. Loads of Dysons, only one (for work) Apple-thing.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Not in my case. I am not uncritical of Dyson; I had a DC01 and it was heavy, awkward to use, and unreliable. I admire his creativity. I don't have a problem with manufacturing overseas: he has a significant UK R&D organisation and reportedly does not practice tax avoidance. I like the airblade, I am more suspicious of the fan. I don't have an objection to a bit of showmanship and his "awards" seem well thought out. I welcome more engineering "role models" in the UK like McMurtry, Noble, and Dyson. The DC59 is only the second product I have bought; time will tell whether it is reliable, but I find it very effective.

Reply to
newshound

Been considerign a dyson fan but on looking closly I think they are over pr iced for what they are so won;t be buying one. I will be buying (most likey ) the next iMac my last one's been going 5 years only seriously crashed a f ew times and never had to reinstall anything just restarted. I replaced my old dyson animal after 3 years but I don't think I should hav e 'hooverd' up the brick and mortor dust with it. I brought a portable dyson and now I have a upright dyson. I like things that look good and work well for the uses I have for them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I find it generally satisfactory to use. And mine is still going strong from new after some 20 years.

Not that any of this is relevant to the OP's question. Looks like Huge has ants in his pants again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Or unreliabilty and poor suckabilty.

Oooo vacuum wars! Third or is it forth time this year? B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice