Dyson DC03, how to shorten hose to mend split?

The hose on our Dyson DC03 has split right next to the plastic collar that the attachments fit into. It ought to be an easy job to detach the hose from the collar, shorten it by a couple of inches, and reattach it. But I can't get it out.

In this picture you can see a promising-looking tab-in-a-slot below the green button, and there's one the same on the other side. I've poked them hard in every direction but I can't get them to do anything useful.

Ideas?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

How old is the vac? Dyson's come with a 5 year parts guarantee. Ring them up and get a new one?

Reply to
Slider

Since its knacked anyway,cut it off and take a peek inside the tube.

Reply to
George

I would guess that it's glued in. I would cut the hose cleanly, pull out the remains of the old hose, clean out any old glue/silicone and glue in your cut hose. You may find that there are coarse "threads" that the hose is screwed into in which case you'll need to screw the fitment onto the hose.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

I'd imagine it fitted like this...

When the tube has been made the hose slots in fully and the them two lugs are machined crimped to keep the hose in place?

Bit like when crimping a cable

Reply to
George

I had the same problem - there is no way to release it - it's glued to the inner tube of the collar. I just pulled mine off - scraped away the excess glue - cut the hose back - put some glue around the inside of the hose and glued it back on.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Thanks, I've done just that - except that I filled the trough with hot melt glue and pressed the tube back in. Worked a treat. Easy when you know how, but before your advice I was afraid of making things worse. Thanks again.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Mike Barnes writes

Poke harder, I've done ours a few times. You'll find the hose 'unscrews' from the central tube and you might need to hot glue it into place.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Look on freecycle plenty offered and get a complete one for spares , just done that and got a brand new tube with it!

Des

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes