Dumbest people I've met so far.

I did a boiler change today - well, helped out on one. The old one had a leaking heat exchanger, which was dripping water onto the gas burner jets, thus putting out the flame, and leaking out the bottom of the casing.

However, the homeowner thought it was just the pilot light not working - even though it didnt have a pilot light. Because he didnt see the pilot flame, he thought it was the wind blowing in the flue that was blowing out the pilot light. It was a balanced flue, so that is unlikely to happen, even if there was a pilot flame.

So, to stop the non-existent pilot flame blowing out, he put a plastic bag over the flue exhaust. So now, air cannot get in, and neither can any of the exhaust gases get out.

We explained that it was a really stupid thing to do, and he was lucky that the boiler did not work properly, as it could have killed him with the exhaust gases.

He wasnt bothered, as if he smelt the exhaust gases, he would have turned it off!

Reply to
A.Lee

Yep - that's officially the dumbest thing this year...

Wonder if he's have tried that with a old style gas geyser?

Tim Watts

My nomination goes to the copper who turned up for work in a Ferrari.

Nightjar

One to add to the list of:

"And they walk among us".

Reply to
Davey

On Fri, 09 Jan 2015 17:03:30 +0000, Nightjar My nomination goes to the copper who turned up for work in a Ferrari.

Indeed. Although the fact someone as stupid as this became a police officer should worry the rest of us ... how many more are there out there ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Thick bent copper - shurely that have never happened before...

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I moved into my current house 7 years ago the 8.5kW electric shower was leaking. Investigation showed that the over-pressure valve had popped its ball. To solve the "leak" the previous owner had sealed all the way round the shower casing with bathroom sealant so the electrics were full of water.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Customer had drop-out on the TV picture. We eventually found a one-in eight-out UHF amplifier wrapped in a plastic bag and a towel, behind the settee. It was very hot indeed, and stinking, and faulty. She'd wrapped it up to keep the smell in, "and now you mention it, that was the day the telly went funny."

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

As the appliance is room sealed, all that would happen is the flame would go out through lack od oxygen because the combustion gases would be recirculated through the boiler. I expect that's why the pilot light went out. He would know if there was a pilot light, there's usually means of seeing it.

If the plastic bag didn't melt.

So stupid thing to do but no chance of killing ones self.

So you're the one that's not too clever.

Reply to
harryagain

Drivel All that would happen is that the flame would go out through lack of oxygen. as combustion gases were recirculated back into the boiler. No danger to the householder, the appliance is room sealed.

Assuming the plastic bag didn't melt.

Reply to
harryagain

No danger. It is room sealed. All that wouldd happen is the flame wuld go out as combustion gases were chanelled back to the boiler.

If the plastic didn't melt first.

Reply to
harryagain

On 09/01/2015 17:03, Nightjar

And why couldn't it have been reported up to now. As the article claims?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Relaxation of standards so that somebody from the ethnic community can be employed and count to filling a quota.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Presumably to avoid the possibility of the fact that he was already serving a sentence affecting the verdict in the later case.

Reply to
Nightjar

But Alan is clever enough not to reply to a post three times....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Probably my Brother. Took his mistress away for the weekend and made a post on facebook tagging her in with him.

Reply to
ARW