Dumb question (what else) - rads / shutting off

How the hell do you get the top off a TRV to put the decorators' cap thing on to make sure it's shut off ?

Mine had two plastic pins poked up through slots (removed), and the pointer to the temp setting also slides down a little, but no amount of force seems to shift the damn thing - rotationally, trying to pull directly off etc...

There was a small plastic circular cover, but this doesn't give a hole of sufficient size to screw the decorators' cap thing into.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Wed, 16 May 2007 20:54:00 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

Erm, pic would be handy.

Some pull, some twist\unscrew, some have a locking collar which turns half a turn\several turns. I'm sure there other methods, some of which are bits of some of the above.

Reply to
Lurch

I'll try and get one up on a few... its a Westherm 4 by the looks of it, and it doesn't stop the flow on the lowest setting :-} (ended up leaking about 4-5 litres out of the system while I tried to wing-it quickly - not convinced it's properly water-tight though, so might need to dabble again)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Wed, 16 May 2007 21:31:30 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

Other option is whip the rad off and stick a blank plug on the rad valve.

Reply to
Lurch

OK, i've put one up here (not the rad in question (badly in need of decorating, and i'm ashamed), but the valve is the same...

Colin Wilson

On Wed, 16 May 2007 22:16:00 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

unscrews in some fashion.

Reply to
Lurch

Incidentally, any ideas how much a typical C/H system holds these days ? - I "lost" about 4 litres of fluid (with additive) as a result of trying to sort this, and I don't know if it might need topping up with more additive.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:48:14 +0100, Colin Wilson mused:

How long's a piece of string? I wouldn't worry if it was only 4 litres.

Reply to
Lurch

I wasn't sure, as these rads (although doubles) don't look like they hold a lot of water compared to older "traditional" rads.. oh well, i'll try not to let it worry me then :-p

(and it's time to check for leaks I supposed... yay - no sign !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Interesting - never had CH before this was fitted a couple of years ago, and i've got a box of the damn things from the same manufacturer :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Not yet, until I started this thread, I didn't actually realise they did come off !

I had visions of flooding the place (more than I managed, which was enough) if I started to unscrew stuff like that, so I was a bit worried about trying it :-} - as it is, I muddled through, lost lots of fluid in the meantime, but it seems to be a little more water-tight than it was :-}

Cheers - always one to remember if i'm stuck !

Reply to
Colin Wilson