dulux exterior gloss or satin black

I've painted most of the house woodwork with dulux exterior black gloss, but the tin I opened tonight was Satin for wood and metal.

I guess it will look a bit more matt.

Is there any other difference?

I was thinking th gloss would reflect more sunlight on very hot days and therefore not get as hot and not warp so much.

Shall I carry on with the sati8n or go out tomorrow and buy gloss?

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I think you are about to find out why the old black beamed houses were tar oiled or similar.

In the sun, black is going to crack, unless you have a very well behaved bit of wood underneath, that expands and contracts just the same amount as the paint. If there's any filler there, no chance. To my eyes the gloss looks better and generally 'blacker', though both can look a bit grey from some angles.

spamlet

Yes, I'm painting the main bargeboards white because of this, the underneath bits were black, and I'll keep them black.

I'm too far down the road of undercoating etc to change them to white now.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

I'd look at bitumen if you want black.