satin or gloss woodstain?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between satin and gloss exterior woodstain (Ronseal Quick Drying) i.e. apart from a difference in reflectivity are there any advantages/good reasons for choosing one over the other.

All advice gratefully received.

Reply to
newbietothis

I'd avoid them both - they are not stains, but tinted varnish, so when they peel (which they probably will at some point) they will look patchy and horrible. If you want to change the colour of the wood use a spirit-based stain, if you want to varnish then use clear. Maybe I'm just a reactionary old git, and people will be along in a minute to say how convenient and durable the new-technology finishes are ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Thanks Rob. Thing is I have found a good colour match with my existing windows. Is it the 'Quick Drying' bit that points to a tinted varnish i.e. if I were to go for same color in 'Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain' instead

would that be better?

Reply to
newbietothis

It looks like 'Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain' is only for exterior wood?

How about 'Ronseal Interior & Exterior Woodstain'

, it says it 'flexes with the wood'? I need to stain both interior and exterior sides of window. Is this better than quick dry?

Thanks again.

Reply to
newbietothis

Nightmare, 'Ronseal Interior & Exterior Woodstain' doesn't come in the color I want (Golden Cedar). So it looks like I am back to 'Quick Drying Woodstain' unless 'Ronseal 5 Year Woodstain' can be used internally too?

Reply to
newbietothis

Why not give Ronseal a call and ask about 5 yr vs internal/external?

Mmm, tempting! Ever tried using spirit stain on pine... ;)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C