Duff coil pack

How can you tell if there is a faulty condenser in a modern(ish) coil-pack? My Mondeo feels like the condenser has blown. What else might be causing that type of misfire?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you mean the condenser that was across the points on the Kettering system, no. Dunno the last car made with points - but I'd guess at some 30 years ago. I'd guess the Mondeo has one coil per cylinder - or possibly EDIS which is wasted spark so two cylinders share a coil.

EDIS is normally bomb proof but still has plug leads which should be checked - and that it has the correct resistor plugs.

COP types - especially the active ones - can and do fail.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Definitely at least 1990, but I'd suspect 1992 as an absolute final cut- off point.

Reply to
Adrian

The Lada Riva 2105, made until 2010, used a distributor, not sure about the 2104 (to 2012) or the 2107, still produced.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well, yes. But most dizzys dispensed with points some 20 years before that. Electronic circuit breaker. Doesn't wear or go out of adjustment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

a distributor is not the same as contacts and points.

Its perfectly possible to have a distributor and electronic ignition, just using the distributor to select which spark plug to use.

In the end its a matter of cost.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher