Dropping Drain Downpipe

Hi

It drops. There is just nothing to hold it. The wall brackets leave clearance round the pipe, so no grip there. At the top it just pushes on and soon falls off again.

What are the effective ways to fix it in place? I would have put a few

15mm screws into the pipe but have no ss screws: steel ones would only rust and split the pipe. Its all plastic.

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

On 1 Apr 2004 13:30:27 -0800, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) strung together this:

Oh dear.

I was going to suggest that. Solvent weld perhaps, or silicone around the clips, or pack out the pipe with something to 'wedge it' into the brackets.

Reply to
Lurch

Lurch wrote..

Or resite one of the brackets under or round a collar

Reply to
Peter Taylor

Buy an extra length of plastic downpipe in the same size and cut short sections to make packing collars which you slide behind the brackets so they exert a grip (obviously you need to cut them so you can snap them over the pipe first). I have done this with good results.

Reply to
rrh

Get some? You only need one to hold up the pipe, the rest will come on useful for some other jobs. :)

Reply to
Mike

AFAIK there is supposed to be some allowance for movement - you need to allow movement for expansion/contraction due to summer/winter and hot/cold water at least around the push fit collars - instructions say push the soil pipe in, mark it, then back it out a little.

Having said this, I.ve just checked my downpipe and the brackets grip pretty firmly.

Wrong size brackets for the pipe?

As suggested elswhere you can pack the brackets - alternatively get a new bracket of the proper size. They are pretty cheap and easy to fix.

If you are considering screwing into it I presume it is rainwater and not a soil pipe? :-)

You could always push a slim wedge of wood between the pipe and bracket - may not last for many years, but cheap and renewable.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

You are a bloody spoilsport you are. This one could have been fun.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

hi there

theres no collar on the downpipe anywhere unfortunately

Yep, I reckon this is the quickest way. But I know its not the recommended way. It would make the pipes more prone to breakage too by turning the forces into point forces.

They're right size but have not had their legs pressed together before being screwed into wall. I could replace them or try to redril the wall, I think the ss screws will be quicker though.

hehe that woulda been fun.

bracket -

Well the brackets look pretty flimsy, I'll try it as a temporary thing.

Actually, I might just try sticking a bit of something on the top bit so it pushes together more tightly, then I dont have to wait for a screw.

Thanks folks!

Reply to
N. Thornton