Driveway Cost

Hi all

Totally OT I know but here goes...

Has the price of block paving suddenly rocketed in the past couple of years?

I was talking to a new neighbour recently who had got quotes from a few of the local companies. His drive probably had less square metrage than mine - he had been quoted £9k. One of the companies he quoted had also quoted me a couple of years ago - my figure was £5k. I know there are variations in the block type selected, but our price wasn't based on the cheapest.

So the questions are: Has the cost of the drive relaying job practically doubled in the last 2 years? OR Do they apply a huge premium in the first half of the year (as this is when most people will look to getting this sort of thing done)? My quote was obtained late in the year when business was quieter.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
thescullster

I've just paid £3370 for 32 sqm std 200 x 100 x 65 blocks including breaking the old concrete and taking it away. The guy is not vat registered so I'd have only paid vat on materials, skip & plant hire.

I'm dahn sarf where things generally cost a bit more than oop north.

HTH

Reply to
Bob Minchin

There are three thicknesses of block for a start. It depends where he has to tip any rubble/other waste. It depends how busy he is. Probably not very, two years ago. It depends how far he has to travel. It depends on what edging is specified and how much there is relative to the area. There might be drains to consider.

Reply to
harryagain

Your neighbour may be having permeable blocks to avoid planning permission / drainage requirements, in which case there's a lot more preparation of the base required

Reply to
pcb1962