Drilling through wood window frame

Hi,

I was wondering the best way to drill 100mm through a wooden window frame for a coax aerial cable,

Cant drill through the wall as its boarding with asbestos lining, I've got a 13mm drill bit thats long enough but is that to big for standerd coax?

Quin

Reply to
Quin

Drill from outside and angle the bit upwards, keeping well away from any glass or glazing beads / putty etc. The hole is angled upwards to stop rainwater getting into the grain of the timber, also, when you put the cable through, add a loop outside, so that it goes below the entrance hole, then looped back up and through - this also stops water getting in as it will drip off the loop. Seal with silicone sealant.

13mm is about right, any smaller an you won't get any sealant around the coax
Reply to
Phil L

Have you measured it? 13mm with 7mm coax would leave a rather large hole.

Reply to
NT

frame sealant/mastic.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

acrylic sealant. Then it paints.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just watched a BT engineer doing this... You use a long masonry bit. After about 5 minutes, you try engaging and disengaging hammer mode several times, to make it look like you know what you're doing...

Even so, I was surprised it took over 10 minutes to get through what looked like a slightly rotten window frame with the wrong type of drill bit. Afterwards, I could see why he wanted to use the existing manky wire, but glad I insisted in a new wire from the DP for the

80Mbit FTTC service, which ran at about 75Mbit when he finally got it connected up.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

FUD I expect

Reply to
NT

Thanks for the advice but cant drill from outside as nearly 30ft up,

What do you mean by why cant i drill the asbestos? Is asbestos you shouldnt drill it unless you want to inhale it , and the house was built about 1970 if that helps with asbestos.

Reply to
Quin

Could always invest in something like this

newshound