screen background in XP

I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use as my screen background. Can it be done ? If so, how ?

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

yes

you guidance as to how to do it

Reply to
Robin

Right click on image and if the option to set as background is there select it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

right click on desktop>properties>desktop>browse to any picture you like and apply

10 seconds max, unless you can't find the picture.
Reply to
Phil L

SYS "SystemParametersInfo", SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER, 0, filename$, SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE

JGH

Reply to
jgh

SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE

It might be worth mentioning that this method requires installation of BBC BASIC for Windows!

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Robin writes

I've always done it through Control Panel etc. However, a slightly quicker way is to right click on the existing desktop screen, in box click 'Properties' (opens Display Properties), click Desktop tab, browse to and select the required image.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The way I do it in XP SP3 Home is to convert it to a Bitmap image [1], save it, and then copy and paste (or drag and drop it) into Explorer > Windows where it will show up in Display Properties > Desktop where the other Backgrounds are available and you can change between Backgrounds at will without losing it.

If you want to have a check first, navigate to Explorer and click on Windows, have a look in the Right hand pane and you'll the Backgrounds such as Soap Bubbles etc in amongst the files there.

[1] The same method will work on JPEGs

Hope this helps

Cash

Reply to
Cash

cinch really resize it to your computer scereen size, then simply (add it to the directory where these thigs are stored and) select it

I am not even sure the last part is needful: IIRC you can select any jpeg you want.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

not sure any need to convert a jpeg, or is that what you meant?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There was a time (long ago) where the image needed to be a bmp... however beyond many of the sample wallpaper images still being in that format, there is no actual need even if they might encourage that line of thought.

Reply to
John Rumm

The system can stretch the image for you, but it has limitations. For example a 4:3 image stretched to fit a 16:10 desktop never looks good, and manually cropping to the required aspect ratio first will help greatly.

Reply to
John Rumm

TNP,

As you say, there is no need to convert a JPEG to Bitmap in XP.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I convert them to Bitmap John out of habit - I prefer, and still use Windows

98SE whenever I can and you have to convert there.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Yes - but that does require the user to know what/where is the desktop, and if the user needs to ask in the first place......... ;)

Reply to
Robin

If you turn on "active desktop" in 98 then you can use JPEG there as well.

BMP is ok, but having practically* no image compression capability makes for rather large file sizes.

  • Apart from RLL which is only of use on images with large slabs of solid colour.
Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Robin writes

Yes, I too hate it when a description assumes you know more than you actually do. I had naturally assumed that the OP would know what the actual 'desktop' is.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The requirement for it to be a .bmp image of the right size went away with the web enabled desktop in Windows 98.

Reply to
John Williamson

A neat trick to get a graduated background in '98 with a very small desktop image is to enable the Active Desktop, and generate a two pixel jpeg file, and use "stretch to fit" as the positioning option. A two way gradient needs four pixels.

Yup, it works in Windows 7, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

It doesn't really exist, no part of a GUI does, it's just a concept. You might as well say the desktop is located under a given profile in c:\documents and settings.

Anyway, a desktop perpendicular to the horizontal? All your stuff will roll off.

Reply to
Graham.