drilling at height safety - follow up

I was going to post this in the original thread, but there have been over

200 new threads started since then. Apologies if this breaks ng protocol.

To recap:

I asked whether it would safe / sensible to use a coring drill on a regular ladder at 1st floor height - there were conflicting opinions!

What happened:

The coring bit I used was diamond tipped 5" / 127mm, on a Makita 8406. When I got it on the drill, with the extension, the brute was quite a handful, especially when applying reasonable pressure. So I ditched the ladder idea pronto, it just wasn't going to work for me. I ended up (and this is no joke) getting the kitchen table out there, and putting two tree stump sections on top (!). Sounds dodgy, but hell, it's DIY after all. The scaffold would have cost about £60 to hire. Anyhow, it was a very stable platform, I was drilling at eye level, and got the job done in 20 mins.

The trickiest bit was keeping the pilot drill level - I was regularly checking with a spirit level every 30 secs or so to make sure it was ok.

Thanks all for your help and advice,

Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff Sheard

In article , Jeff Sheard writes

Thanks for the feedback, it's always helpful. I think you are right to start a new thread as after a time goes by or after a few too many opinionated rants I mark threads as spent.

Reply to
fred