De-scaling toilet bowl

I have a seriously scaled up toilet bowl, the problem's below the water line only. Have been trying Viakal left overnight to soak, but tbh it's useless. Is there a better option - what about baking soda, is that alkaline enough to touch it?

Reply to
randallnhopkirk

In article , randallnhopkirk writes

You need acid not alkali!

The blue Harpic descaler works well for me. Empty as much water out of the u bend as you can then splurge it on and leave for an hour. Give it a good scrub with a brush, and it magically all comes off.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

If it's in a bad way, the scale is normally a mixture of hard water mixed with organic matter, and both can protect solvents from the other.

Use a proper descaler (like Fernox DS-3) predisolved in hot water, with washing up liquid added. Leave it overnight. Run around the pan with the loo brush before flushing away next morning.

If it's rather more organic matter than scale, then cloths or dish washing detergents can work quite well.

Oh, and when trying different chemicals in the loo, always make sure you have very well flushed away any previous ones you tried, as some combinations can generate large amounts of toxic gas very quickly.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

yup, household bleach mixed with acids or ammonia-based cleaners being the classic deadly concoction.

Reply to
RichardS

yup!

that's the way I do mine when it gets bad and it works. As you say, get rid of as much water as possible - this lets the harpic get directly to the scale, Don't know about really built up scale though - it might need two or three goes.

Roger (my reader sometimes loses mail/newsgroup messages

Reply to
romic

just use a descaling bog cleaner. Pick one with HCl in, thats the fastest. Squirt it on, brush it over, repeat repeat as many times asnecessary. It may take many goes, but the cleaner will strip a new layer off each time.

Or, if youve not done thing since it was built in 1932,why not break the porcelain away and have a working bog made out of nothing but limescale?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Might be eligible for an Arts Council grant ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

250ml of analytical grade HCL does it for me!
Reply to
Badger

Hit it wirth a load of caustoc to dissolve any greasy organic matter, flush that away and then tip a litre of brick acid in there,shut the lid, open the window. and leave for a day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or a liter of brick acid. Cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A first overnight soak with chlorine bleach will remove most of the organic stuff, making it easier to dissolve the limescale in a second overnight treatment with acid.

But in between, now that it's not so much of a biohazard, curl your fingers around the U-bend and check how much scale has built up there. You may find some really thick deposits, and the acid treatment will work better if you can remove the bulk of those first.

A selection of short screwdrivers should get most of it off in chunks, which you can then scoop out of the bowl. No need to be too thorough - the acid will take care of the rest.

Likewise, flush thoroughly before putting your hands and head in there.

Reply to
Ian White

Bleach as an oxidising agent will make the organic stuff invisible for a few days, but it doesn't clean anything. It's better not to make it invisible, so you can see when you've got it off.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just use the Harpic stuff. It really does work and there is less chance of dissolving your arm off.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I used neat brick acid - bail out the water that's in there, then fill it up and leave for a few hours (but remember not to use it in the meantime). For routine descaling I just chuck a cup of brick acid in the water. Since I tried this I've never been tempted to buy "proper" toilet cleaner.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Really? 50p for 250ml in the volumes I purchase!

Reply to
Badger

You could then donate it to the Tate Modern - they are happy to waste National Lottery money on any old shit that is supposed to be art.

(:-)

Graham

Reply to
graham

Not so. The greasy stuff does in fact get saponified and go.

And the bleach at least renders most of the bacteria dead, so its not so unpleasnant to work with.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmm. I think 5 liter is about 6 quid from memory, so thats ..well you work it out. Its 30% conc anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's my experience too. It's the alkali does that, rather than the chlorine.

If it is only bleached, but not broken up, either the concentration wasn't high enough and/or it needed to be left for longer... or there was just too darn much of it.

Agreed (though all within limits, of course).

Reply to
Ian White

With a notice saying 'crap in here and youll be walking funny for a month'

NT

Reply to
bigcat