Drill Press Laser Repairable ?

I have a Wixey drill press laser, just a year old, which has just stopped functioning. Is it likely to be anything simple. Would it be repaotable ?

Reply to
fred

Unless it is the switch or battery contacts, I would think not.

Machine-dro aka Alandale as Wixey agents might be able to advise. They generally a helpful bunch.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

depends which bit's broken. You need a multimeter.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Tried Allendale but no response

Reply to
paul.mccann

No response so far from the UK Seller but got a very fast response from the manufacturer, Wixey , with some suggestions

Hats off to Wixey

Reply to
fred

Did any of their suggestions fix it? What was the issue?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob I id reply to your emailbut I'll recap

The manufacturer suggested I check the battery terminals which are in fact fine. He also suggested I short circuit the switch which I did but no joy. I have a meter and checked what I could but the leads to the laser heads are imbedded in glue/cement so I cant get a probe on them.

According to the manufacturer it would be very unusual for both heads to fail at once.

Reply to
fred

Are there other circuit boards inside or is it just batteries and a switch? If it?s the latter, I?d be inclined to think it?s got to be a simple power supply issue as solid state lasers should be very reliable.

How about a photo of the internals?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That is what I thought when I looked it up to find it had two laser heads.

To reply by email, you need to "remove your hat" from my published address.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Problem solved. I opened it up again to take some photos to notce one of the spring battery terminals was slightly cocked. Adjusting this solved the problem, Thanks to all for the assistance.

Before and after photos

fred

The U.K. supplier,

had the temerity to respond to my email,this morning, after 5 weeks, asking how they could help. Given that I had posted the resolution on here and also emailed the U.S. manufacturer yesterday I think this belated offer of assistance is just too much of a coincidence

Reply to
fred

Its what happens when you leave cr@p batteries in stuff for a long time.

You should always use alkaline batteries for stuff like that and take them out if not in regular use.

Reply to
dennis

Those were fresh batteries. I use this brand in all my equipment with no problem. If you had read my solution you would see the problem was with a bent, not dirty, terminal, dtygtse

Reply to
fred